Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Radeon 9200 -- Just doesn't work.

Post by syn` »

I've had my Radeon 9200 for some time now and using Windows, I never had any problems with it.

I switched over to Mint not too long ago and have been trying to get it to work ever since. I thought I made some progress with it before but always ended back up where I started. Having to use my onboard card.

Until yesterday my BIOS was extremely outdated. The computer is 5-6 years old and so was the BIOS. So up until I updated, I actually could not turn my onboard card off. If I was to do it, it had to be done inside my OS. Now, since that was the problem, like I said, I've tried everything else I could think of. Finally after flashing the BIOS I was able to turn the onboard off. I figured that would solve my problem if I could force it to read off of the ATI. Wrong.

As soon as I disable my onboard and set it to the ATI I put my Linux Mint CD in and rebooted. Everything is working beautiful until it gets to the load screen for mint. There, it makes it probably 30% done and eventually freezes and doesn't move. I tried hitting F6 and trying the different commands when the Live CD would start up and nothing worked. It didn't even give me an error when I took off the load screen. At least if there was one, it scrolled too far past it for me to see it, and it wouldn't allow me to scroll up.

I put in my Ubuntu 7.4 and 7.10 CDs and quite a few other Live CDs and they all did the same thing. I decided to go back into my BIOS and set it to use my onboard card again. As soon as I did that, the Live CD booted up and worked fine. I installed and tried setting it back to my ATI -- same thing. It wouldn't boot to the install, just froze on the status bar.

I'm not too concerned about it as I just ordered a new nVidia card, but I swear I've seen threads of people getting their 9200/9250s to work and it just seems impossible when that card is the only one enabled and Linux won't even boot because of it. I tried both of my cards, different brand Radeon 9200/9250 to the same result.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Radeon 9200 -- Just doesn't work.

Post by Husse »

You did not mention which motherboard
And - taken from memory - the 92** do have a problem, but I don really recall seeing that they don't even boot, problems are later on...
This is close to impossible to solve from a distance...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syn` »

Husse wrote:You did not mention which motherboard
And - taken from memory - the 92** do have a problem, but I don really recall seeing that they don't even boot, problems are later on...
This is close to impossible to solve from a distance...
Yeah, I've looked around at a few different places to see if anyone else had any problems and none of them had the problem I'm having. The computer is a Dell Dimension 2350 (clicky).

And if I go into my BIOS and set it to use the ATI instead of the onboard it will goto the loading screen and get stuck at the same place everytime. It just stops. I still get a display, but it won't load anymore.This happened with Mint, Ubuntu 7.10/7.4, and pretty much the same thing with PCLinuxOS. Using my 9200 and my 9250.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Sometimes a data spread sheet is revealing...
PSU 200 watts
I don't think you have enough power to support the ATI cards...

syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syn` »

Husse wrote:Sometimes a data spread sheet is revealing...
PSU 200 watts
I don't think you have enough power to support the ATI cards...
They might be revealing, I just wish I had the faintest clue about most of this stuff.

That would suck, tho. Not being able to support the cards. But they worked fine in Windows with no issues at all for the last two or three years. I don't get why they'd have a problem all of the sudden now and just with Linux about power supply?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Sorry I didn't get that
You see 200 watts is very little and it has noting to do with Win or linux - it's hardware
Don't buy a new card for this box with the possible exception for some really low end card
They need more umph than this PSU can deliver (it's not only watts, but amps on 12 volt) but this is way too technical
I know a bit about this, it was not for nothing I sold computer parts by mail order for 8 years :)

syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syn` »

Ok, I have two questions I suppose because a lot doesn't make sense to me. I just got my Nvidia 6200 and it's having the same issue as the ATIs.

1) If I don't have enough power to supply to the card, why does it give me a display screen and go all the way to the loading screen and just stop? I tried booting in recovery mode and it would load everything up to where it says "Getting/Setting Hardware Drivers" or something along those lines, the terms might be off, but after that it would give me a list of errors. A very long one.

2) I formatted the computer just now and put Windows on. Turned off my onboard, Windows is running fine with the Nvidia and both ATIs. They work perfectly, actually. I don't get why if they work fine on Windows, and I've used the ATI 9200 for 2-3 years and never had an issue, they do on Linux?

I messed around with PCLinuxOS the other day, only off of the live CD, but messing around with the display settings somehow or other I got the ATI to display. The resolution was stuck on 600x400, but it was still displaying.

I'm not saying what you said isn't the issue, but with all this, could it really be a power issue?

syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syn` »

Hmm.
Last edited by syn` on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Hmm
This is a case where I would like to be hands on...
Boot, study and boot again and again....
I'm not writing this to defend Mint but I think it still might be the lack of power. The 92xx is definitely not "power thirsty" (I've been unable to find an exact figure) but maybe Linux is using more power (not much)
It seems that you manage to get to about where X is about to start and then power needs increase.
This is from my experience - lack of power is a much more common error than most people think
One thing - have you disabled the built in video?

syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syn` »

Husse wrote:One thing - have you disabled the built in video?
Yes, that's why I updated my BIOS was in order to be able to disable it; I couldn't from my older version.

I really love Mint, I'd love to stick with it, and I have every intention on it. I'm about to purchase another computer, but this one is my wife's and she wants to use it as well. I guess I could get my other 1.8ghz out of the closet and see if it would run on there.. but I'd rather it be on the Dell. /sigh.

I took some pictures earlier of the errors on my digital camera if you want to see them.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I've asked my "hardware guru" what he thinks about it
Answer tomorrow (at best :))

stafio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stafio »

Just a thought, but I know that many computers have a "load failsafe BIOS" option. Have you tried that? Maybe there are some settings that are causing the problem.

syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syn` »

stafio wrote:Just a thought, but I know that many computers have a "load failsafe BIOS" option. Have you tried that? Maybe there are some settings that are causing the problem.
Just checked and I didn't see it anywhere.

But I had taken some pictures of the errors. Basically what happens is it gets to where it says "Loading Hardware Drivers" or whathave you and then gives me this long string of errors and stuff that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Showing Card Does Work In Windows

The Load Screen It Freezes On

The Actual Errors When Splash Is Removed

The Actual Errors (With Flash On Camera)

syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syn` »

Well, I searched around the Ubuntu forums and ended up finding quite a few threads of people having the same exact problem as me. Most of them didn't have a solution and the ones that did were too complicated for me to figure out alone, but after it's all said and done I've still been trying to get this to work for a week or two. Afraid I'm going to just have to give in and head back to Windows.

spike jones
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spike jones »

hey, I'm having the same exact issue. My Bios is revision AO2 I believe - came pre installed that way. I've got a Dell Dimension 2350. The above link for Spec sheets wont tell you anything really about my computer except for the mobo specific stuff. I've upgraded everything on it including the PSU, up to 350 watts. The only thing I haven't upgraded is the CPU and drives.

I switched from the ATI Radeon 9250 card I was using to this new NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 because I've heard NVIDIA works better with linux. However, I'm still having the same issue I had with the ATI card. That issue being that when I try to boot Linux with my PCI video card, it stops (not going any further) when it tries to load the hardware drivers. (such as noted by turning off the quite mode at boot options) So in other words, the only way I can get into Linux is by using the on-board graphics chip-set. I tried both the unified and legacy open source drivers - nothing. Tried using the restricted drivers manager to install proprietary drivers - nothing. Tried using envy to install proprietary drivers - nothing.

The drivers are all installed and I can select which ones to use, it just doesn't want to load the drivers when booting with either the ATI or NVIDIA cards on either Ubuntu Gutsy or Linux Mint Daryna.

In addition to this, when using the restricted drivers manager or envy to install the proprietary graphics drivers, it configured the xorg.conf file to use an NVIDIA driver for the intel chipset, which screwed things up beautifully when trying to boot back in with the on board graphics. Only way in was to boot in recovery mode via onboard graphics - re-edit the xorg.conf file to use the open source intel driver and issue a reboot command.

I am dual booted with window XP home edition SP2 and both cards work perfectly there - so its not the card itself.

Only thought I have is this.... when booting with the xorg.conf file created by the installation of the proprietary driver - using the on-board graphics, the last message I see is that CPU frequency scaling is not supported. - could this be the issue? and how do I go about supporting CPU frequency scaling - must I upgrade my BIOS to support that?

Edit: I've tried the VESA and VGA generic drivers as well and they don't seem to want to work. I did some further digging, looking thoroughly at my xorg.conf file and read the man page on it. I figured that having two devices in there might have been messing things up for the nvidia card, so I extracted all the information for the nvidia card and made a separate file for it, identical to the xorg.conf file I am now booted under for just the intel card - obviously the exception to that being the Device section with relevent driver info. It still doesn't want to load any drivers for the card even when it is in a file by itself.

Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

I just wanted to say that I have a Radeon 9200 on my main box (since various years...)

No problem whatsoever...I use the fee driver... everything out of the box... (Mint, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Slackware derivative, OpenSUSE...)

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin »

ok, let me see if I can help in this issue. I say this is a power issue, while the card may not be power hungry, and Windows will load with no problem, you need to understand that when you are loading the cd, the cd drive is using alot of power to spin up, read etc., so while it may be able to power the card and the hard drive, when you are trying to load the cd, and power the card, and the hard drives, and ram, and motherboard, etc. etc., you are drawing too much power from PSU, and it just doesn't have enough omph to power all that hardware at once. Do you have enough cash to get a new PSU? You can find 500w PSU from Newegg for like $30 USD. Check out his one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817159066 while it's not the latest and greatest, it will do the job, and you will notice a bit better performance than what you have now.

spike jones
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spike jones »

fact is that I've already got the distro installed which I did off of someone's suggestion of using the onboard graphics. So its not trying to power up the CD drive. - only the hard disk. and I doubt that it could be a power issue because as was stated before, it works just fine in Windows. It makes no sense for it to be a power issue if I can see graphics - which means it does indeed have enough power. The card required 250 Watts, so I did one better and got the 350 Watt.

syn`
Level 1
Level 1

Post by syn` »

McLovin wrote:ok, let me see if I can help in this issue. I say this is a power issue, while the card may not be power hungry, and Windows will load with no problem, you need to understand that when you are loading the cd, the cd drive is using alot of power to spin up, read etc., so while it may be able to power the card and the hard drive, when you are trying to load the cd, and power the card, and the hard drives, and ram, and motherboard, etc. etc., you are drawing too much power from PSU, and it just doesn't have enough omph to power all that hardware at once. Do you have enough cash to get a new PSU? You can find 500w PSU from Newegg for like $30 USD. Check out his one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817159066 while it's not the latest and greatest, it will do the job, and you will notice a bit better performance than what you have now.
The reply below yours pretty much sums it up.
The problem happens on the Live Cd, yes. BUT. I used my onboard and the Live CD booted up fine and I installed. It's giving me that error without the Live CD in. Which is why it can't be a power issue like you just stated. It isn't having to spin the disc, there is no disc in.

Which is why I keep saying it works in Windows and just won't in Linux.

But I'd also like to state to the earlier reply saying he had an ATI 9200 working -- it's not the card. We've established that. My nVidia gives me the same problem. Actually, any PCI card gives me the same problem so far. But only in Linux.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

PCI card
PCI card or PCI express card?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”