Forum rules
Before you post please read this
truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

geforce 9500GT auto fan control not working well

Post by truexfan81 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:34 pm

mint 9 main 64 bit, geforce 9500GT 512MB nvidia 290 drivers

gpu is running a bit on the hot side would not get below 55C at idle, when under a load would go up to about 71C. i started googling around and found that by adding a couple of lines to the xorg.conf file, it would allow me to manually control the fan speed with the nvidia-settings app, by increasing it to 60% it will idle at 49C and when under a load 59C.

any thoughts? i mean i'm happy i got the temps down, but that should be handled automatically.

noodlyappendage
Level 1
Level 1

Re: geforce 9500GT auto fan control not working well

Post by noodlyappendage » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 am

Any chance you have a clogged exhaust fan? Mine got so bad I was idling in the 60's. A few shots of compressed air, and I'm back in the 40's.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by truexfan81 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 am

noodlyappendage wrote:Any chance you have a clogged exhaust fan? Mine got so bad I was idling in the 60's. A few shots of compressed air, and I'm back in the 40's.
nope fan works fine when run at a high enough speed, if i run it at 100% it never gets above 59C idles around 49

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am

Mint 9 main 32 bit on Acer aspire.

My fan does not seem to come on at all, I know it is not the hardware as it works fine when booted to windows vista. Also funny that the same OS (mint 9, from same CD) seems just fine on a acer netbook. Which is the machine I was learning on. Just installed on the laptop last night. I don't have a Temp. App. but it got way too hot !

I'd be interested TrueXfan where you found the "overridee" instructions as at least a temporary fix.

More interested in what the real problem might be ?

Thanks,
Mint 18 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by truexfan81 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm

rickNS wrote:Mint 9 main 32 bit on Acer aspire.

My fan does not seem to come on at all, I know it is not the hardware as it works fine when booted to windows vista. Also funny that the same OS (mint 9, from same CD) seems just fine on a acer netbook. Which is the machine I was learning on. Just installed on the laptop last night. I don't have a Temp. App. but it got way too hot !

I'd be interested TrueXfan where you found the "overridee" instructions as at least a temporary fix.

More interested in what the real problem might be ?

Thanks,
is this for an nvidia gpu?

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Don't think so TruXfan as I've never heard of it before, it's just a regular acer laptop with only one fan. and is not working at all under linux. I just found this post while searching, now I see it is about graphic cards. Perhaps I should start my own thread in a better category.

BTW while looking up that "nvidia" I saw some neat stuff for controlling its fan(s)

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Good news my fan issue has been SOLVED !

I can't seem to re find the post that helped, but when I do I'll add it here.
EDIT. Found it, it was on a ubuntu forum, and it does work.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1420247&page=3

The fan not running is quite common on toshiba laptops as well. Anyway the fix is just a small addition to the grub file. My Acer 5315 laptop is now running as it is supposed to maintaining about 55 degrees C.

My Linux transition is nearly complete...now for a video editor...

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:54 pm

SORRY ! Not solved. Apparently it was a random thing, The fan did work that time ? hmmm ?

About 10 start-ups after that it overheated every time, very strangely this start-up the fan "IS" running, and I'm maintaining a temp (core) of 41 C ish. Anyway to be more specific here is what I'm running:

Dual boot with Mint 9 / vista
Acer Laptop 5315 BIOS V 1.19 (the latest is V1.45) Frankly I don't really want to do that if it is not necessary, as the fan does run under win, and "SOMETIMES" with Linux, seems logical to me there is a fix ?

I did install sensors (lm-sensors) and screenlets to watch temps. "MOST" times the sensor steady rose to 80+ at which I shut down.

Also Installed "acpitools" because of a thread saying acpitools -f (X=1) would make my fan run, turns out that only works on a Toshiba.

This is very strange :? my fan does work on the win Vista Partition, and "sometimes" ( one in 7 or so starts) with Linux mint, BIG QUESTION ?

DO realize I should post somewhere else. (and will)

Sorry for confusion.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”