Help me install Linux Mint 12 with a Radeon HD 5450

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bouncer

Help me install Linux Mint 12 with a Radeon HD 5450

Post by Bouncer »

So I decided to remove windows from my life once again, and go with the lovely looking mint. Be default I have to boot the liveCD using "nomodeset" as I end up with a wallpaper and usable mouse without the rest of the environment otherwise.

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers with some help using "sudo sh drivername.run" and after that I rebooted seen my desktop which would just hang. but I could use ctrl alt F2.

I have decided I am now going to start again from the beginning to get this sorted, and I need all the help I can get!

This is a 32-bit install, Pentium 4, ATI Radeon HD 5450 PCI-E 2GB RAM, Motherboard is ASRock P4VM890
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: Help me install Linux Mint 12 with a Radeon HD 5450

Post by mank_in »

Do you installing catalyst 11.12 or 12.1 :?:
Try use ATI open source drivers ( radeon HD) .
Usually if the panel missing from desktop, the problem is VGA driver not loaded correctly. Check the output of "inxi -Gx" .

EDIT : you can select MATE session on login screen. MATE don't need 3d driver.
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Your going to have to tell me how to select the Radeon HD driver.

Also im a complete newb. So as much help as you can give will certainly be required.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

you are installing driver from ATI website ,
open terminal, copy and paste , one by one :

Code: Select all

sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
sudo rm -rf /etc/ati
reboot

If you receive E: Internal Error, No file name for libgl1-mesa-dri
Change number 5 command above to:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 xserver-xorg-core

after reboot, check vga driver with:
[code]inxi -Gx
[/code]

source: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Thanks for that got so close!

Got as far as

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
But it says no file or directory.

Tried rebooting to find that I can now get to a wallpaper, but still no interface, which is better than the blank screen I was having.

Now how to find the no xorg.conf issue?
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

you can ignore that command ( that for backup your xorg.conf )

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
reboot
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Will try that now, With any luck my next post will be from mint!
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Did not work!

E: unable to locate package libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 and the same for drive:amd64

Someone suggested to drop the amd64 files in IRC, Tried that and rebooted got a desktop but no enviroment as ususal.

This is really starting to beomce annoying -.-
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

You using 32 bit LM
How about :

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
If didn't work either , logout and at login screen select gnome classic or mate, search additional driver, maybe you can try deactivate ATI driver from additional driver.
Last edited by mank_in on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

I ran that but it didn't spit anything out.
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

I ran that but it didn't spit anything out.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

try this one : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooti ... %20scratch
if not working ,I don't have any idea anymore, maybe you can reinstall LM12 and not install ati driver ( at least not install a version download from ATI website ) . Use additional driver from menu or install from ubuntu PPA :(
ibe63

Post by ibe63 »

Hi. i have same card but my platform is AMD 64. Tell you how i made it. 1:CLEAN Mint installation.2. Update to DVD installation (if installed from CD).3.Multimedia codecs insallation. Those both can do by using Mint Wellcomescreen down left corner buttons.4. MINT update using top panel Icon on right. (probably must do twice if first gives you only 1 package --be patient 5.THIS PART IS OPTIONAL: In console : ~ $ sudo apt-get update (AND) ~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade (IF offers you new kernel packages,install them) REBOOT+repeat section 5. 6.go HERE http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide and start from section Installing Catalyst Manually. The LAST bit you do is: sudo aticofig --initial -f then REBOOT. Now you should have ATI-driver(12.1) installed. Be CAREFUL to copy and paste lines in tutorial boxes (some of them goes over the edge or printed with tiny fonts). I dont suggest to mix many Desktop styles together. i just keep GNOME 3,GNOME with effects and stiff looking STRONG oldie GNOME :D (the best for MOVIES and stuff).Gnome shell with ati works quite nicely now . Sometimes when i press enter or some window button, the widow(s) disappear for second or two ? but comes back :mrgreen: And if i quickly hassel with mouse and Gnome3 shell effects, Gnome3 freeezes and i have to log out, and in again. But NO reboot required :roll: I cross my fingers.
PegHorse

Post by PegHorse »

This is not an ATI issue but APT.
Bug has been fixed in latest version of APT.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/859188

I have the same issue.
But you can bypass it : use aptitude download and then install with dpkg and you will succeed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”