Forum rules
Before you post please read this
stevanooz
Level 1
Level 1

Need Help with Switchable Intel/ATI

Post by stevanooz »

Hello all,
I am sorry if my posting not in the right place or double post. Please forgive me.
I am a very newbie in the world of Linux. And I choose Linux Mint 12 to start with this new world and seems a very good choice.

I am using Laptop HP Pavilion g4, Memory 4Gb, Second Generation i3 and Switchable Intel HD and ATI Radeon 6470m
So far, I don't have any problem with my peripheral. Sound run great, Wifi, Camera and everything run smooth.
The problem is with graphic card. I have search this forum up and down to find the rigth answer. I have follow any tips and tricks that close to my problem.. but still can't solved my problem.

Here's what I've done so far:
1. I always type "nomodeset" from when installed and everytime I reboot the computer.
2. I have download the driver from amd sites and the driver version is 12.3.
3. I have tried to install the driver and restart the computer, but I still got the black screen when restart
4. I have tried Synaptic program to disable any driver and reinstal the driver but got the black screen when restart
5. If after I installed the driver and restart the compputer and put "nomodeset" in the GRUB menu, I've got the error terminal likes picture below.
5. In system info, my graphic always VESA: Intel®Sandybridge Mobile Graphics

so, what do I do now? I have tried any solutions given in this forum and none of the solutions solved my problem.
I like this OS and I want to use it. I hope my problem is not unsolved... :(

Please help...

eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Need Help with Switchable Intel/ATI

Post by eiver »

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/ - starting point
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450 - a successful report

I do not have experience with Intel/ATI (I have nvidia), but check out the links above. And be prepared for some rough edges. Hybrid graphics is at an early stage of development in Linux. Neither AMD nor Nvidia show any effort support their hybrid graphics on Linux, so we are totally dependent on hard work of enthusiasts. They do amazing job btw, as the solution already works well (in most cases).

stevanooz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Need Help with Switchable Intel/ATI

Post by stevanooz »

ahhh.. I c... no wonder there's always a problem with this VGA...
for me, it's oke if I can disable one of the VGA... but as long as the driver can support one of the VGA...

I have tried many tips which I found with google how to disable one of the VGA.. but still no luck and I keep reinstall the OS (almost 5 times)....

I wish there is a way to used both or one of the VGA with right driver.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”