Funny effect after entering Username and Password

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Mohr
Level 2
Level 2

Funny effect after entering Username and Password

Postby Mohr » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:21 am

I sometimes mistype my password, especially in the morning after a short night.
As it is made invisble by dot characters for security reasons you have no optical control about what you type.
So far nothing new ...

But when I mistype the mistyped password suddenly shows up in big letters on the screeen eventually, no: typically, only mistyped by one single character.

As the new "LOGIN" ....

At first it is even hidden from the user himself/herself :oops: and suddenly it is presented to the audience behind you? :mrgreen:
And what about people working in a busy environment?

Their passwords can easily get guessed after only one time a person watched over his shoulder?

Disclaimer: I did not really find a forum-category where it would match so I placed it here awaiting moderation.

jimallyn
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Funny effect after entering Username and Password

Postby jimallyn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:26 am

Interesting. Never seen anything like that! I suspect that the powers that be will want to know which version of Mint you are using. If you don't know, open a terminal and enter inxi -S.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

misterxyz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby misterxyz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:04 am

Mohr wrote:I sometimes mistype my password, especially in the morning after a short night.
As it is made invisble by dot characters for security reasons you have no optical control about what you type.
So far nothing new ...

But when I mistype the mistyped password suddenly shows up in big letters on the screeen eventually, no: typically, only mistyped by one single character.

As the new "LOGIN" ....

At first it is even hidden from the user himself/herself :oops: and suddenly it is presented to the audience behind you? :mrgreen:
And what about people working in a busy environment?

Their passwords can easily get guessed after only one time a person watched over his shoulder?

Disclaimer: I did not really find a forum-category where it would match so I placed it here awaiting moderation.

The exact same thing has just happened to me.

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit.

Cosmo.
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Cosmo. » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:40 am

What you described is a problem, that exists until Mint 17.3: After mistyping the password the login screen now asks you at first for the user name; that is the reason that the entry gets now displayed in plain text. The problem is, that the user might not be aware in this situation, that the user name is requested wit the consequence, that the typed passwords can now be read on the screen.

This mistake has been corrected in Mint 18.

For Mint 17.3 and before there are only 2 workarounds:
Either you disable to remember the last logged in user, so that you have to enter (ore select with the up/down arrow keys) the user name in any case at first.
Or you set a picture for the account(s). This will make it a bit more, if the user name gets asked.

misterxyz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby misterxyz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks for the information. It has only happened the once. If it happens again I'll do one of the work arounds.

:)

Mohr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Mohr » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:07 am

Thank you!
Sorry, that I didn't immediately communicate my exact version. Me stupid!
Also because on my very PC (Rebecca 17.1, 64bit) now I cannot reproduce and I am happy (about that).

Tomgin5
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Tomgin5 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:11 pm

I had that once. The mistyped password came back as a user! I had not clicked the user and typed the password without the user being selected. I "solved" it by going into "users" in system settings and deleting the excess users.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”