How Software Manager works

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

How Software Manager works

Post by FinixFighter »

Hi folks! These months I'm trying to make some small program in Java and while I was working I thought: how apps are made available in the software manager? I mean: if I make a program (for example) and I have the jar file, which steps I have to follow in order to make my app available in the software manager? Do I need to convert the jar file in a particular format? And then? Do I need to contact someone? I'm very curious about this, please enlight me! :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stallmansupport.org
gm10

Re: How Software Manager works

Post by gm10 »

To get it added to the Debian repositories (Ubuntu picks from those):
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/dist ... e-deb.html

For Ubuntu you can also create a PPA which your users will need to add before it appears in their software manager:
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PP ... rcePackage
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Make a ppa and if enough people actually want to use it it should end up in the ubuntu repos. Software manager is just a front end for apt, as synaptic is. DOn't expect the repo maintainers to jump up and down over any new program.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

Thank you everyone for your answers! :)
stallmansupport.org

Return to “Non-technical Questions”