[SOLVED] Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Post Reply
Dragon32kB
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm

[SOLVED] Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by Dragon32kB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:12 am

Hello, I just migrated to Linux Mint but I was wondering, I heard that Ubuntu tracks what you search on your computer and since Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu I was wondering how connected are the two distros regarding this matter? Does Linux Mint also track our info? And maybe not just that privacy matter but up to what point are the distros the same and when do they differ? Sorry in advance if you dont get my question fully
Last edited by Dragon32kB on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
smurphos
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4826
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher
Contact:

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by smurphos » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:40 am

Dragon32kB wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:12 am
I heard that Ubuntu tracks what you search on your computer
Where did you hear that? It's not true AFAIK.

Ubuntu does have optional post install telemetry to upload certain details about your hardware to them. This is innocuous - they just want an idea of the hardware people use so they can make better decision on future development direction. It also has optional crash reporting and optional anonymous app usage data reporting.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... ityContest

Mint has none of these out of the box.
Last edited by smurphos on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

User avatar
zcot
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by zcot » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 am

You "heard that Ubuntu tracks what you search"? Where did you hear that? -the mentally unstable homeless guy in the subway? A click bait article from a seedy website? Some headline that scrolled by and never showed the actual article?

It's quite possible that any given ISP could keep track of traffic passing through their equipment.

This recent forum thread touches on some of the similarities, and the differences of Ubuntu and Mint: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=304622

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10274
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:53 am

smurphos wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:40 am
Dragon32kB wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:12 am
I heard that Ubuntu tracks what you search on your computer
Where did you hear that? It's not true AFAIK.
Probably referring to Amazon search suggestions in old versions of Ubuntu years ago. You know how such ancient drama likes to get cooked up again.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

User avatar
zcot
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by zcot » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:59 am

ubuntu-report is a currently active optional component, not installed in Mint though, but should hardly be considered tracking.

Dragon32kB
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by Dragon32kB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:53 am
smurphos wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:40 am
Dragon32kB wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:12 am
I heard that Ubuntu tracks what you search on your computer
Where did you hear that? It's not true AFAIK.
Probably referring to Amazon search suggestions in old versions of Ubuntu years ago. You know how such ancient drama likes to get cooked up again.
Indeed i was referring to that search suggestion subject that sent info to amazon... But if you guys say it is no longer implemented then it should be all fine.

Dragon32kB
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by Dragon32kB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:56 am

smurphos wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:40 am
Dragon32kB wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:12 am
I heard that Ubuntu tracks what you search on your computer
Where did you hear that? It's not true AFAIK.

Ubuntu does have optional post install telemetry to upload certain details about your hardware to them. This is innocuous - they just want an idea of the hardware people use so they can make better decision on future development direction. It also has optional crash reporting and optional anonymous app usage data reporting.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... ityContest

Mint has none of these out of the box.
From Richard Stallman talking about Ubuntu

Dragon32kB
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by Dragon32kB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:57 am

zcot wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:59 am
ubuntu-report is a currently active optional component, not installed in Mint though, but should hardly be considered tracking.
Not referring to that but thanks for answering my post :)

Dragon32kB
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by Dragon32kB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:59 am

zcot wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 am
You "heard that Ubuntu tracks what you search"? Where did you hear that? -the mentally unstable homeless guy in the subway? A click bait article from a seedy website? Some headline that scrolled by and never showed the actual article?

It's quite possible that any given ISP could keep track of traffic passing through their equipment.

This recent forum thread touches on some of the similarities, and the differences of Ubuntu and Mint: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=304622
Richard Stallman... but someone else said it was from the old versions. Anyways, I will take a look at the link, sounds like what i was looking for also. Thanks :D

gm10
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10274
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:16 am

Dragon32kB wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 am
Indeed i was referring to that search suggestion subject that sent info to amazon... But if you guys say it is no longer implemented then it should be all fine.
Online search still exists in Ubuntu, but as an opt-in feature, whereas previously it was an opt-out feature. Some Mint desktop environments contain "on-demand" online search features, i.e. you can choose to use them.

Personally I think the drama was mostly click-bait, but so be it.

If you're paranoid, remember that as long as you connect your Linux Mint to the Internet it will be contacting various third-party servers, which can choose to log that activity. Among those are various servers controlled by Ubuntu/Canonical. And don't forget your applications. Even your web browser phones home with telemetry information, and certainly every web site you ever visit will meticulously log that (as well as the 15+ trackers its ad services may be running).

So yeah, Ubuntu online search definitely blown out of context, privacy out of the box is a big illusion these days.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Dragon32kB
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by Dragon32kB » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:38 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:16 am
Dragon32kB wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 am
Indeed i was referring to that search suggestion subject that sent info to amazon... But if you guys say it is no longer implemented then it should be all fine.
Online search still exists in Ubuntu, but as an opt-in feature, whereas previously it was an opt-out feature. Some Mint desktop environments contain "on-demand" online search features, i.e. you can choose to use them.

Personally I think the drama was mostly click-bait, but so be it.

If you're paranoid, remember that as long as you connect your Linux Mint to the Internet it will be contacting various third-party servers, which can choose to log that activity. Among those are various servers controlled by Ubuntu/Canonical. And don't forget your applications. Even your web browser phones home with telemetry information, and certainly every web site you ever visit will meticulously log that (as well as the 15+ trackers its ad services may be running).

So yeah, Ubuntu online search definitely blown out of context, privacy out of the box is a big illusion these days.
Thanks for the clarification concerning Mint. Regarding the other issues there is definitely things that can be implemented.

Thank you!

User avatar
zcot
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by zcot » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:13 am

Ah! Yes. I wasn't so sure that amazon issue was so much tracking.

I ran into a hobo recently and he had a full rant about ubuntu tracking, well actually I just think he was drunk. :shock:

there's this though, for transparency: https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php

User avatar
GELvdH
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 am
Location: Havelock, NC USA

Re: [SOLVED] Does Linux Mint have the same privacy problems as Ubuntu?

Post by GELvdH » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Two things, if you are using Firefox go to 'Preferences', 'Privacy and Security' and disable (check) the appropriate items. Secondly, I am using Nordvpn which gets a different IP address every time you log in besides they do not keep tracking records.

Post Reply

Return to “Non-technical Questions”