Donations to Linux

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Donations to Linux

Post by JTemple »

I can probably answer that AFTER my next payment goes through. I can check my receipt to see who the payee was. If anyone else still has a copy of their receipt, maybe they could answer that. If not, I'll post again after my next payment gets processed.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
SilenceIsG0lden
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SilenceIsG0lden »

With all the fees involved for these services, I'm always surprised when there is no simple account transfer / ACH payment option in North America. I know, these sort of services are still in their infancy in the US, though I've grown up with it in Europe since the 70s. There was no need for PayPal in Europe, and they actually had to register as a bank there and weren't really able to compete on intra-EU money transfer. You can simply enter someone's bank details to make a transfer, kind-of like you do with your utilities. No-one can take money from that account, unless they have a special permit to do so -- that's why credit cards also didn't take for the longest time. Even now, when I buy stuff online in Europe, I can just let them take the money off my account I still have there. If they take too much, my bank goes after them. All for free.

So, at least for the donations in Euros: why is there no option to simply make an account transfer? They don't cost anything, neither for the sender nor the recipient.

I just looked around and see that there are options for non-profits, like https://donorbox.org/nonprofit-blog/ach ... -donations

To the powers that be here -- do you think you'll ever be interested in paying fewer fees?
LM 21.1 cinnamon on PC built by myself in 2008
LM 21.3 cinnamon on Macbook Air
Living in Linux Mint land since 2020, after decades on Microsoft (from DOS to Win7).
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you are still using PayPal as your payment,
then your statement should show PayPal - Retail Purchase.

you should also get an verification eMail from PayPal & another eMail from LinuxMint via Clement Lefebvre, as well.
& if you were using the Patreon method, them you should also get an similar eMail conformation, too.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

OP here- can't believe what a can of worms this has turned into. Over the last week or so I have been too busy to investigate the history, but this week I expect to get into it and I hope to simplify the whole process while I'm at it. All responses appreciated!
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

After some investigation today, I find that PayPal shows my previous Mint donations as paid to Patreon. Patreon shows the payments as paid to "Linux Mint" but through some sort of Patreon community. I have begun the closing of my Patreon account as I want to simplify the whole donation sequence.

Henceforth I plan to make my monthly donations using a debit card. The donations page posted earlier in this thread wants me to use Patreon for recurring donations, which I want to avoid. What I'm missing is the exact name of the payee so my card company knows just where to send the money.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”