Why I like Linux better then Windows

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
wike1970
Level 1
Level 1

Why I like Linux better then Windows

Post by wike1970 »

Hi Everybody

I don't know really why I like Linux better than Windows. I think it is because Linux is a better system. Because I rather use Linux then Windows. Might be because Windows is bad. Every time they release a new update something goes wrong. While Linux has better updates and is a better system. I use both Linux Mint and ElementaryOS, but I like Linux mint best. The only time I had problem with Linux was when I use Linux Kernel 5.8.0 because my laptop lost sound with it. So I went back to Linux Kernel 5.4.0 and sound came back. Is there someone who knows if any other Linux Kernel has problem to play sound if one has a Dell Latitude E6420 with PulseAudio sound drivers? Because Kernel 5.8.0 couldn't be use since it seams that it lost the sound drivers for the sound card my laptop has. If I understand correct 5.8.0 is not a LTS kernel. While 5.4.0 is a LTS kernel. So as long as I don't know if this problem with 5.8.0 I will not update the kernel to it.

Yours
Christer
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Why I like Linux better then Windows

Post by Moem »

wike1970 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 am
Is there someone who knows if any other Linux Kernel has problem to play sound if one has a Dell Latitude E6420 with PulseAudio sound drivers?
I would suggest that you ask this valid question in the section about sound, multimedia and codecs. It will be easier to find and attract more attention, especially if you give it a clear, descriptive title. Your question is now buried in what is otherwise a chatty topic, which is fine, but doesn't help in getting answers.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Christer,
Welcome to linux Mint.
Hope you will enjoy the distro for many years.
if the 5.4 kernel works there is no need to upgrade to 5.8 at this time 5.4 is long term supported kernel and will continue to receive security updates until 2025.
So I would not upgrade if your hardware is working well on 5.4.
Enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JesseRBassett
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JesseRBassett »

First off,
Welcome to the forums! :) Secondly, I am glad your like me as we both are Linux users who love the system.
Sincerely,
Jesse B

Hp Compaq Pro 6200 l Linux Mint 20.1 Edge x64 bit l 468gb HDD l 4gb DDR3 Ram l Intel i3 Chipset l