Why I like Linux better then Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wike1970
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wike1970 »

Hi Everybody

I don't know really why I like Linux better than Windows. I think it is because Linux is a better system. Because I rather use Linux then Windows. Might be because Windows is bad. Every time they release a new update something goes wrong. While Linux has better updates and is a better system. I use both Linux Mint and ElementaryOS, but I like Linux mint best. The only time I had problem with Linux was when I use Linux Kernel 5.8.0 because my laptop lost sound with it. So I went back to Linux Kernel 5.4.0 and sound came back. Is there someone who knows if any other Linux Kernel has problem to play sound if one has a Dell Latitude E6420 with PulseAudio sound drivers? Because Kernel 5.8.0 couldn't be use since it seams that it lost the sound drivers for the sound card my laptop has. If I understand correct 5.8.0 is not a LTS kernel. While 5.4.0 is a LTS kernel. So as long as I don't know if this problem with 5.8.0 I will not update the kernel to it.

Yours
Christer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Why I like Linux better then Windows

Post by Moem »

wike1970 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 am Is there someone who knows if any other Linux Kernel has problem to play sound if one has a Dell Latitude E6420 with PulseAudio sound drivers?
I would suggest that you ask this valid question in the section about sound, multimedia and codecs. It will be easier to find and attract more attention, especially if you give it a clear, descriptive title. Your question is now buried in what is otherwise a chatty topic, which is fine, but doesn't help in getting answers.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Christer,
Welcome to linux Mint.
Hope you will enjoy the distro for many years.
if the 5.4 kernel works there is no need to upgrade to 5.8 at this time 5.4 is long term supported kernel and will continue to receive security updates until 2025.
So I would not upgrade if your hardware is working well on 5.4.
Enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

First off,
Welcome to the forums! :) Secondly, I am glad your like me as we both are Linux users who love the system.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
greengnome
Level 2
Level 2

Post by greengnome »

For me Windows is not even an option I can consider any more with all the spying going on there, reporting back home, online account needed etc. It also seems they make the desktop experience worse with every new release. I'm very much a traditional desktop user so Mint is perfect for me. Tried a number of Linux distros over the years but settled on Mint as the best mix of the things I want. I just wish the standard repos had more software in them and newer versions of things, but that is pretty minor all things considered.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

I don't know really why I like Linux better than Windows.
Mainly because Linux is waiting for me, while I am always waiting on windows.
Linux works faster than I work.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I know very well the reason why I like practically any current system better than any Windows: it's called Windows File Explorer.
Even if everything that Microsoft is accused of would be dropped, there would still be this weird piece of software that is a reason for divorce - malicious attack on the user's mind - or something like that.
nickcat325
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nickcat325 »

The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day that they make a vacuum cleaner. I found that from Reddit. I try to recommend Linux as much as possible.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I'm still have some Windows PCs available,
as some folks think that I'm some sort of Tech Dude,
& are able to fix an Windows System . .
thus I've an need to be somewhat across, just how bad that system, actually is.
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I don't think anyone likes Windows. We just tolerate it. :wink:
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
swhlo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swhlo »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:08 am I don't think anyone likes Windows. We just tolerate it. :wink:
Possibly the best answer.
Boccerini
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boccerini »

In another forum I frequent there is a thread about updating to Win 11. One guy said the update went pretty quick; just 1 1/2 hours!

I re installed Mint on my PC last weekend. After booting from a USB stick, choosing a language and keyboard setup, Mint needed four (!) minutes to install.

The entire process of formatting, creating partitions, installing Mint, updates and all my software took about fifty minutes, and only one restart, which didn´t take any longer than a normal restart.

I told them to try that with Windows :)
_tab
Level 3
Level 3

Post by _tab »

Each list will be different, but here's mine;

1. Secure

2. Free from bloatware

3. No need for additional security checks (i.e CHECKSUM) installing new software (provided by software manager).

4. Incredibly robust, no crashes last 2-4 years

5. Fast, I tend to use second hand equipment which Linux distros excel at

6. Clean interface (Mint)

7. Friendly support forum, that tab chap really knows his onions :lol:
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Its an old joke on Lucas, british maker of car electrics of questionable quality
Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Microsoft BB, Before Bulmer, make some products that fixed problems for lots of people. Then the brought out NT as the big step forward. Unfortunately someone decided to merge the two by taking the worst of Windows and sticking it into NT. When the downgraded NT failed, they decided to distil out the worst problems with NT and put them into Windows.

The closest modern equivalent is when they take the worst "reality" TV show and infect it with the least known, most boring "celebrities".
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

#1. No self destructive registry
2. No forced updates when I need to use my computer.
3. Traditional Desktop (Mate only for me)
4. Choice in configuring my Desktop
5. better speed
6. open source (less costly software, I can try before I buy, and pay what I feel it is worth)

I actually found Linux by looking for less expensive software. I was tired of paying outrageous prices for software and found Sourceforge that offered multi-platform software, like SMplayer, Audacity, and OpenOffice (at that time). I was impressed and saw that they all worked on Linux, which convinced me to make the switch.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yeah -- it's an Linux Channel:
https://www.ezeelinux.com/news/the-wind ... -to-begin/
:)
The Windows 11 Nightmare is About to Begin . . . some interesting thoughts.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
davey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davey »

wike1970 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 pm
I don't know really why I like Linux better than Windows. I think it is because Linux is a better system. Because I rather use Linux then Windows. Might be because Windows is bad. Every time they release a new update something goes wrong. While Linux has better updates and is a better system. I use both Linux Mint and ElementaryOS, but I like Linux mint best. The only time I had problem with Linux was when I use Linux Kernel 5.8.0 because my laptop lost sound with it. So I went back to Linux Kernel 5.4.0 and sound came back. Is there someone who knows if any other Linux Kernel has problem to play sound if one has a Dell Latitude E6420 with PulseAudio sound drivers? Because Kernel 5.8.0 couldn't be use since it seams that it lost the sound drivers for the sound card my laptop has. If I understand correct 5.8.0 is not a LTS kernel. While 5.4.0 is a LTS kernel. So as long as I don't know if this problem with 5.8.0 I will not update the kernel to it.

I too just had an issue with the Mint XFCE kernel, which I found out (thanks to Miss SMG) to be the culprit for my persistent system freezing where there was no other way out saved a cold boot-up. But i guess this is one area that Ubuntu and other Linux flavors have to work on, i.e. refinement.

Why I like Linux better than Windows? I bet it is the Freedom that comes along with Linux. This is not just because most distros are free, but your freedom to configure the OS from its environment, to its behaviour, and even its allocations. I mean, why would I want to buy an OS where I have to open an email account, to be at the mercy of another forced OS update in 8 to 10 years time - which I can not configure as I want?

I've personally tested Linux for office work, and my experience tells me that if LibreOffice can do as MS Office and Outlook does, then I will go fulltime Linux. I've received kind advice not to expect softwares in Linux to behave like Windows. I agree! But how do we convince people who want to jump over from the Microsoft fence over to the Linux side IF the onus of adaptation is on their side? It has been difficult to convince people who've used Windows since the 90s and are so used to MS Office. They are no different from people I know from the 80s who had gotten used to WordStar and Lotus123, who were very afraid to jump onboard Windows during the early 90s. Surely it is a paradigm shift and adapting to another environment could be overwhelming. This is no different with Windows people wanting to try Linux.

I personally want all these years for LInux to succeed, and I can see it slowly inching its way into the Business environment, although with limited success, mosty on the server side. That's fine! so long as it moves forward, no matter the small steps. Soon, we hope it is able to invade the Desktop side in offices.
moonshadow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by moonshadow »

Linux is stable, its open-source and its more freedom in Linux than Windows, its fun to use.

Return to “Chat about Linux”