thanks for Memory Limit

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jarp53
Level 3
Level 3

thanks for Memory Limit

Post by jarp53 »

so I had to install Cinnamon because the new XFCE version have a couple of glitches the removing of a launcher from the panel will make the panel disappear, so I have to restart to get it back ; and when it starts there is a blink of the desktop from another hard drive or the nvidia screen, it is just a millisecond blink but to me still a glitch ; the good thing was that when I set the amount of memory to be use ( 8 gbs ) this version of cinnamon just flies and I love it , my CPU temperature did not go up much ,average mid to upper 40's , I have a total of 16 gbs of memory so is there any thing I should be aware with having that setting so high
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: thanks for Memory Limit

Post by deepakdeshp »

Why limit the memory to 8 gb when you have 16gb.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:35 am Why limit the memory to 8 gb when you have 16gb.
precisely......... why put a limit on it??

my laptop has 16gB of RAM, and I don't restrict the memory at all.

Only in VB do I restrict the RAM to 8gB for an install.

as my Signature shows, I am running 19.3 Cinnamon full tilt, and it is super fast!

and, it is just loafing along at 18% of the RAM, so why put a limit on it?

Resources.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

when applicattions leaks memory, they don't ussualy know how to stop :D

https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/02/ ... ygobbling/
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

jarp53 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:05 pm so I had to install Cinnamon because the new XFCE version have a couple of glitches the removing of a launcher from the panel will make the panel disappear, so I have to restart to get it back ; and when it starts there is a blink of the desktop from another hard drive or the nvidia screen, it is just a millisecond blink but to me still a glitch ; the good thing was that when I set the amount of memory to be use ( 8 gbs ) this version of cinnamon just flies and I love it , my CPU temperature did not go up much ,average mid to upper 40's , I have a total of 16 gbs of memory so is there any thing I should be aware with having that setting so high

I have 32 GB of RAM and I use all 32, I do not set a limit.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

ivar wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:41 pm when applicattions leaks memory, they don't ussualy know how to stop :D

https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/02/ ... ygobbling/
Don't set the limit and see if there are any issues with it. I am sure there won't be any.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

With only 4GB of memory on my current laptop, and a preference to have way too many browser tabs open, it runs much better the last couple months than it did when I installed it 6 months ago. Limit is set at 2 GB and cinnamon does restart only occasionally
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

ivar wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:37 am With only 4GB of memory on my current laptop, and a preference to have way too many browser tabs open, it runs much better the last couple months than it did when I installed it 6 months ago. Limit is set at 2 GB and cinnamon does restart only occasionally

Why would anyone set a limit on their memory?
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

As I understand, the memory limit is for the Cinnamon desktop environment, to restart it if its memory usage gets excessive
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

ivar wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:40 pm As I understand, the memory limit is for the Cinnamon desktop environment, to restart it if its memory usage gets excessive

Sorry, that does not make logical sense to me.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

from the regrister article in an above post:
The memory usage for Linux Mint is meant to be “between 80MB to 1GB” according to founder Clem Lefebvre’s latest post; but there are cases where memory consumption continues to grow, even when the operating system is sitting idle, consuming “2GB, 4GB, 6GB of RAM. We don’t know what causes these leaks yet but we’ll have a workaround in Cinnamon 5.0,” he said.

It would be better to fix the leak, he acknowledged, but “we’re unable to reproduce the issue.”

The workaround is rather simple. In settings, users can set a maximum amount of RAM, and if exceeded, the Cinnamon process will restart itself. “You won’t lose your session or your windows, it will just be unresponsive for about a second,” Lefebvre promised.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Thank you. I appreciate the information.
greengnome
Level 2
Level 2

Post by greengnome »

Found that setting today and thought it a bit of an odd thing to have, but this explains it all. Never noticed any memory issues in Mint but on a few occasions Cinnamon crashed and restarted for mysterious reasons. Is that what happens if you reach the memory limit or would that give a different message?

Return to “Non-technical Questions”