Proper Placement of Questions on the Forums

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eardom
Level 1
Level 1

Proper Placement of Questions on the Forums

Post by Eardom »

I had a temporary issue where I downloaded an update that broke my wifi but the problem disappeared once I used Timeshift to roll back an hour. Even with the problem gone can I still ask about the issue in the networking support section? I'm kind of curious what might have happened but I don't want to waste time with a non-issue. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Proper Placement of Questions on the Forums

Post by SMG »

Eardom wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:40 pm I had a temporary issue where I downloaded an update that broke my wifi but the problem disappeared once I used Timeshift to roll back an hour.
Welcome to the forum, Eardom.

Actually, your system should probably be running with the update so rolling back the update is a temporary workaround. However, to troubleshoot what might fix the issue you would have to install the update again so you could provide data results and do tests. It is up to you as to whether you would like to do that.

What was the update?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Eardom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eardom »

Unfortunately I did not look too closely at the updates when they showed up on the Update Manager but I believe that they may have been related to the Kernel. After installing I was told that I needed to reboot. After the reboot I saw that the network icon on the Panel was showing the no connection icon. After clicking on the icon I saw that the wireless section was entirely missing, additionally the wireless and the wifi P2P sections missing in the full network settings menu. Strangely after rolling back and checking for updates I have found nothing. Sorry that I don't have more detail on the specific update.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Eardom wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:56 pm Unfortunately I did not look too closely at the updates when they showed up on the Update Manager but I believe that they may have been related to the Kernel. After installing I was told that I needed to reboot.
Usually, one only needs to reboot for kernel updates. There were kernel updates which came through today.
Eardom wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:56 pm Strangely after rolling back and checking for updates I have found nothing. Sorry that I don't have more detail on the specific update.
That is strange.
Open a terminal and let us know the output of

Code: Select all

uname -r
Eardom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eardom »

I get 5.4.0-91-generic
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Eardom wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:03 pm I get 5.4.0-91-generic
:shock: That is the latest kernel version that just came through today. That probably explains why you have no updates showing.

Is your wireless now working?
Eardom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eardom »

Everything works great right now.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Eardom wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:07 pm Everything works great right now.
Apparently just thinking about posting your issue fixed it. :mrgreen:
Eardom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eardom »

I think I'm willing to accept that it was some weird interaction that needed a reboot. Thanks for taking a look.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”