End of Linux is Nigh?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: End of Linux is Nigh?

Post by Termy »

I watched that video recently, and it definitely was disconcerting! I wanted so badly to write it off as Bryan being Bryan, but he seemed to make a lot of good points. :( Still, I don't see Linux going anywhere anytime soon, if ever. We're more than just an operating system, damn it.
rene wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:01 pm While the end of Linux might or might not in fact be nigh, the end of Brian Lunduke is already some time past.
:lol: Awesome post.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
LinuxNoob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxNoob »

Thanks for all the replies. Being a Linuxnoob, I had not idea about this guy!
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

I'd wager that this "Bryan" guy just suckered you guys into some clickbait / outrage-bait. Haven't watched it and I won't.

Linux powers virtually the entire internet, many large industrial and enterprise systems, not to mention gov't / edu / science / misc systems other around the world. "Linux" is mostly just the kernel and a bunch of open source software. If "they" manage to get rid of the devs who work on the kernel, stop everyone from using it who is using it right now in the entire world, and MS (who owns Github) manages to shut down Github overnight and steal all the intellectual property (which they might be able to do with their Terms of Service agreement? I dunno...), then maybe that would work? I suppose it's possible, but that seems a bit nutty, doesn't it? But until something like that happens, I'd suggest, yes, "Bryan" just clickbaited a lot of people.

That doesn't show much more than the quality of "Bryan"'s character, whoever he is, and that he is more concerned about the end of his attention source being nigh rather than anything truthful about Linux. And who knows, maybe MS paid him.
DeathDancer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DeathDancer »

rene wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 pm A Linux forum is not an overly useful avenue for noting this since by and large people already know (although a Linux Mint forum...) but this is what you get when you insist on brainlessness; on inalienable rights of Normal People to operate the most complex technology humanity has up to now come up with without needing to know or understand anything about it: your devices no longer being controlled by you but by in this case Microsoft.

I'm starting to be of the age that I have high hopes of being dead before I'll have to witness the conclusion of that...
I am minded of an old Star Trek episode where the people thought a super computer was god. The only problem was the super computer was broken. Hmm, must have been a Microsoft system. :lol: :lol:
Come over to the Darkside (we have Cookies).
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

No I didn't watch this ridiculously long rant, of someone who is too in love with his own voice. (clicked only to see how long the video was)
44 minutes, I'm slightly curious just how brain dead people have to be, to watch it ?

Brian Lameduck, fargon idjet. Only thing(s) more pathetic than he, is his followers.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

All this is why I usually avoid YT videos about Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Dark13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dark13 »

Microsoft pushing it's new bloatware/spyware on everyone is doing it's best to keep Linux alive on desktop
resolution and DPR check https://screenresolutiontest.com
mmphosis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmphosis »

No. Linux is here to stay.

The majority of servers in the world, by far, run Linux. And yes, of course, BSD is exceptional.

The largest share of consumer devices in the world run a Linux kernel, an old version, but still it's Linux. Without knowing it, the other big slice of market share run XNU (X is Not Unix) a hybrid of Mach. And even the proprietary Windows NT kernel was influenced by the Mach microkernel developed by Richard Rashid.

And no, I'm also not going to watch a video to tell me whether I possibly agree with what someone thought they saw.

https://www.macobserver.com/features/death-knell/
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

The older Linux Sucks videos are a great watch. But most of the arguments here made no sense to me. I wouldn't worry about it.
I used to watch the Lunduke Show years ago, when I got into Linux. I feel I have outgrown it 8)
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

LinuxNoob wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:17 pm Surfing Youtube today and to my horror I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtJ9T_IJOPE Anybody have any thought about it?
Well, if you're asking for my opinion... So, let's set the mood here. I want you to imagine you're watching a YouTube video of me presenting my thoughts. You can assume the video would be all slick and well produced, with appropriate titling and captions, and really nice intro music.

Oh, also, if you could imagine me with a full head of hair, that'd be great. Thanks.

Bryan Lunduke works for SUSE as their "Social Media Marketing Manager". I'm not sure how he managed to luck his way into that particular job, but it sure sounds like fun and I'm betting he gets paid more an hour than I do. Herr Lunduke (and why not "Herr"? he works for a German company after all...) has been doing an annual "Linux Sucks" in-person presentation for years and years at this point. He's been doing it for so long that he's already parodied himself doing it, and that's saying a lot. If nothing else, he's trying to help "keep it real" so that there's a sense of perspective on all-things-Linux. If anything, maybe he gets some people mad enough that they put efforts in to help improve things when they otherwise might not have made such an effort.

Now, I don't mean to be a contrarian here — well, at least not for the sake of being contrarian, anyhow — but how about instead of people trying to shoot the messenger, the greater Linux community instead puts in more effort to help the platform along? You know, Valve is doing their darnedest to try and create some in-roads for people to at least use, if not get all hyped and self-install, Linux. Besides, how many people out there in the wider world self-install Windows on their boxes? Hmm? Yeah, not that many. I truly believe this can be described as Linus "the man" Torvalds did: it's all about what's bundled. If more companies sold devices with Linux pre-installed instead of expecting universal adoption through mere enthusiast embrace, there'd be a greater acceptance of the platform.

And speaking of Valve, actually there appears to be some significant gains in market share, and if that pans out it will certainly help matters. It'll help society if more and more people are doing computing (of whatever sort) on Linux, because that represents more and more people using a safer environment as well as one which encourages self-empowerment.

Getting back to Bryan "Smugsville" Lunduke, I'm not saying he doesn't have some of that, but mostly he's successful. He's out there talking and getting paid for it and having professional notoriety, and all I'm seeing here is Tall Poppy Syndrome.

Now, be sure to click that "like" button below and hit "sub...

Oh, wait. This isn't a YouTube video. Never mind.

:lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Portreve wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:06 am Bryan Lunduke works for SUSE
No he doesn't.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

rene wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:13 am
Portreve wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:06 am Bryan Lunduke works for SUSE
No he doesn't.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe he shouldn't, but he does.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

No he really doesn't; he left SUSE in 2017; https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 54544.html

At the moment the best that can be said is that he is a Linux focused journalist; the more realistic thing as well as worst thing that could be said about anyone is that he is a social media personality. And that's in the context of your comment the point; 4 or 5 years ago Lunduke's commentary was largely appreciated in the community, even if only as comic relief; it's since that time that it's all been downhill ego-blabber.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

rene wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:38 am ego-blabber.
EXCELLENT Description.
For the record I don't have any
Tall Poppy Syndrome
either I could care less about his popularity, or wealth. Just like the rest of us he's not taking ANY of that with him on the final trip. I simply dislike the guy for the same reasons I don't like the Subaru TV ads. They're lame, and Stew pod.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Agentl074
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Agentl074 »

LOL... meanwhile, Microsoft's own supercomputers are powered by what? ... that's right... Linux lol.
Indiana University Alumnus, CompTIA A+
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Agentl074 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm ...
Their servers are probably on Linux, too. :lol:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Agentl074
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Agentl074 »

Termy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:15 pm
Agentl074 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm ...
Their servers are probably on Linux, too. :lol:
I think they are :lol: .
Indiana University Alumnus, CompTIA A+
Rooo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rooo »

rickNS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 pm for the same reasons I don't like the Subaru TV ads. They're lame, and Stew pod.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if you read Subaru backwards it says U R a Bus ...
Forum Pest ...

"Easy tips for Linux Mint and Ubuntu, both for beginners and for advanced users" https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
PalomarJack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PalomarJack »

Never seen any of this person's content before, and after slogging my way through it I see I missed nothing. That's 45 minutes I will never get back. However, as was stated, he made a couple, that I count on two fingers, of good points. But most is a bunch of drama diva psycho-babble that completely disregards past and current events that affect far more tech and business events than just Linux focused ones. Thus the drama diva reference. Just some rhetorical questions. Does this person always take 45 minutes to present 10 minutes of content? How, please, how can people like this talk so much, take so godawful long to do it and be so incredibly wrong?
Last edited by SMG on Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed clown/joker references because forum rules about name-calling (Section 1-2) applies to all persons mentioned in posts.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

PalomarJack wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:23 pm Never seen any of this person's content before, and after slogging my way through it I see I missed nothing. That's 45 minutes I will never get back. However, as was stated, he made a couple, that I count on two fingers, of good points. But most is a bunch of drama diva psycho-babble that completely disregards past and current events that affect far more tech and business events than just Linux focused ones. Thus the drama diva reference. Just some rhetorical questions. Does this person always take 45 minutes to present 10 minutes of content? How, please, how can people like this talk so much, take so godawful long to do it and be so incredibly wrong?
I polished turd aka politician always outdoes that person you're referring to xD . Once I realized that, I learned to stop listening to them.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Chat about Linux”