Two questions... sorry, don't know how to group those two questions.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

Two questions... sorry, don't know how to group those two questions.

Post by RobertX »

I have two questions:

1. Is Linux Mint considered a for-profit organisation like Canonical?
2. Is Mint written through a low-level interaction (i.e. machine language)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Two questions... sorry, don't know how to group those two questions.

Post by rene »

Linux Mint is registered in Ireland as a for-profit company; I believe it would be fair to say that's not in the same manner as Canonical would be; Mint leaning more towards "community" and Canonical more towards "company" (it probably in any case needs the for-profit registration for various legal reasons).

Second depends on what you mean by "Mint". Clearly its base is the Linux kernel and lower-level tools; mostly written in C and in the case of the kernel with some assembly language (although not in fact much) but not developed by Mint itself. As to what makes Mint Mint; certainly as to Cinnamon and/or X-Apps also C but relatively high-level C, for Cinnamon some JavaScript, but as to Mint's nature it's more or less by and large Python. Certainly not anything on a machine-language level.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”