Forum time zone

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andy_van_isle
Level 1
Level 1

Forum time zone

Post by andy_van_isle »

Hi all, I was just wondering what time zone the forum is in; curious to know what time is indicated on people's posts, their local time? UTC?
Thanks, Andy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21 Cinnamon. LMDE5
"If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough!" Red Green.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Forum time zone

Post by Termy »

I'd like to know this, too. I'd guess that the times are converted to what they'd be for you, based on your settings in the User Control Panel.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
andy_van_isle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_van_isle »

Well my own post/s are +3 hrs ahead of my local time -- but is it the same for everybody, i.e converted to EDT?
LM21 Cinnamon. LMDE5
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

When I'm not logged in the timestamps are seemingly in UTC-4 (EDT). When I am they display in my local time, indeed as set by the timezone setting in those user settings; User Control Panel -> Board Settings -> My Timezone.
Last edited by rene on Wed May 25, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy_van_isle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_van_isle »

andy_van_isle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:23 pm Well my own post/s are +3 hrs ahead of my local time -- but is it the same for everybody, i.e converted to EDT?
No I'm wrong. My post is now my local time, it changed in the last 5 minutes. Curiouser and curiouser.
LM21 Cinnamon. LMDE5
andy_van_isle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_van_isle »

rene wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:26 pm When I'm not logged in the timestamps are seemingly in UTC-4 (EDT). When I am they display in my local time, indeed as set by the timezone setting in those user settings; User Control Panel -> Board Settings -> My Timezone.
Yes, I see the same thing. Still haven't figured out if applies to everyone's timestamps (I have no way of knowing what time they posted). I'm sure it'll come to me eventually... Thx
Posted @ 5:09 PM PDT
EDIT: I have my correct timezone set in Control Panel.
LM21 Cinnamon. LMDE5
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

It'll apply to everyone. Posting times are undoubtedly internally stored simply as UTC by the board; are to not logged in users displayed in UTC-4 (or EST/EDT; would in that case be UTC-5 in 6 months...) again undoubtedly as a matter of an admin-level board timezone configuration; are to logged in users displayed in their local user timezone as configured via the user control panel.

This in any case is to say that if you've logged in you see all times in your local timezone if you have such configured; yours as well as others. Now, as to why UTC-4 or EDT/EST is set as the board timezone is I would say anyone's guess -- other perhaps than xenopeek's -- what with Mint's main developer being French, being situated in Ireland and the if I'm not mistaken largest part of forum users being European rather than from New York, but...
andy_van_isle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_van_isle »

Yep, the light has switched on in my head. So all times remain relative regardless of whether I'm logged in or not.

Clem is located on the Emerald Isle? That explains the Mint colour scheme on two different levels.

Cheers, Andy
LM21 Cinnamon. LMDE5
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

go into your user Profile and set the Time so that your posts reflect what they should be for your Time Zone.

now, all other posts will be relative to your local time.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TheyLive »

andy_van_isle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:34 pm Hi all, I was just wondering what time zone the forum is in; curious to know what time is indicated on people's posts, their local time? UTC?
You see time string of time for time zone you selected in your Forum's > User Control Panel.
(By default forum recognized my time zone (UTC+3) and I did not change this setting.)
This time string for all posts - yours and others. Simple, it is your time (your zone setting).

Addition to visible string there are "hidden" time strings in page source (to see it Right mouse click on time and select Inspect (Q)). It is standard computer time string (simplification of the ISO 8601 calendar date extended format).
https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-date-time-string-format

For example, time of first message in this topic
Visible string depending on my zone setting = Thu May 26, 2022 12:34 am
Hidden string same for all planet (standard format) = 2022-05-25T21:34:25+00:00

As you can see, you wrote on 21:34 UTC, but I see plus 3 hours = 0:34 (12:34 am) for my time zone (UTC+3) setting.

p.s. I convert hidden string to more simple 24h format. You can test it via Firefox plug-in:
viewtopic.php?f=211&t=340039
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-05-26 16-24-09.png
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum
andy_van_isle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_van_isle »

спасибо. :)
LM21 Cinnamon. LMDE5

Return to “Non-technical Questions”