How do I reset a crashed GUI?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
taltamir
Level 2
Level 2

How do I reset a crashed GUI?

Post by taltamir »

My GUI crashed and I want to reset it.
I don't have a taskbar, programs still run fine but their windows are missing the top bar with the minimize/maximize/close buttons

In windows I would do ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager and then kill and restart explorer.exe
or possibly logout-login.

How do I do something equivalent in mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How do I reset a crashed GUI?

Post by Cosmo. »

This depends from your unknown desktop environment. Without that info no answer is possible.
half-word
Level 1
Level 1

Post by half-word »

This actually is a technical question. :wink:

It's obvious the window manager crashed here. There are several ways to escape from that state, but I believe the fastest and easiest one for you is to switch to a virtual console and reboot your system. Just press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and you'll get to the black console screen with the "login" prompt. Then hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and the computer will proceed with the reboot sequence.

If the same problem happens again, report back here and you'll no doubt get help with troubleshooting it.
taltamir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by taltamir »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:29 pm This depends from your unknown desktop environment. Without that info no answer is possible.
Cinnamon.
The flagship desktop environment of linux mint. so I figured it would be obvious, I guess I should have specified.
Last edited by taltamir on Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
taltamir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by taltamir »

half-word wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:33 pm This actually is a technical question. :wink:

It's obvious the window manager crashed here. There are several ways to escape from that state, but I believe the fastest and easiest one for you is to switch to a virtual console and reboot your system. Just press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and you'll get to the black console screen with the "login" prompt. Then hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and the computer will proceed with the reboot sequence.

If the same problem happens again, report back here and you'll no doubt get help with troubleshooting it.
Thank you. I managed to find the ctrl-alt-F1 answer online.. and it did not work.
However, ctrl-alt-backspace DID work. it signed me out and then I was able to sign back in and everything worked afterwards.
half-word
Level 1
Level 1

Post by half-word »

It's great that you managed to escape without forcing the computer to power off. It's strange that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace worked as it's disabled by default in modern Xorg installs; I guess everything went out of whack good. It's even stranger if switching to a virtual console didn't work.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

half-word wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:29 pmIt's strange that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace worked as it's disabled by default in modern Xorg installs
It's enabled in current versions of Linux Mint to restart the X Server.

However, it does seem odd it fixed this issue. :?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

The combo for Cinnamon is CTRL+ALT+ESC
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

taltamir wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:52 pm
Cosmo. wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:29 pm This depends from your unknown desktop environment. Without that info no answer is possible.
Cinnamon.
The flagship desktop environment of linux mint. so I figured it would be obvious
No information is obvious, which is not provided. The only obvious thing in this context is, that Mint provides 3 desktops.

For your question, the way antikythera gave you is the way to go to restart Cinnamon.
taltamir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by taltamir »

antikythera wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:14 am The combo for Cinnamon is CTRL+ALT+ESC
Thank you
half-word
Level 1
Level 1

Post by half-word »

SMG wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:55 pm It's enabled in current versions of Linux Mint to restart the X Server.
This is interesting; I thought nobody enabled this by default anymore. Thanks for the info!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”