New Keyboard, which one. [Solved]

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

New Keyboard, which one. [Solved]

Post by Keith2021 »

Hi all, I am using a Logitech K800 wireless keyboard and it is slowly tiring out and I will have to replace it. The backlight feature went out the other day and there is no fix for it that I could find and the Unifying software won't run on Linux and I have an older one that won't connect because of the software.
I was wondering what keyboard that most on here recommend to run on Linux? Is it wired or wireless? I have a wired keyboard that works great but I need the backlight feature. They don't make the Logitech K800 anymore or I would buy that. What is your keyboard if you buy a new one :?: Thanks.

The program called Solaar is great to pair your Logitech mice and keyboards.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux mint 20.2-Mate, Linux Mint 21-Cinnamon, Zorin 16 Pro
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New Keyboard, which one.

Post by 1000 »

You seem to be looking more at the company than your own comfort.
You have to list the things you want and just search.

- Probably with backlighting, it's probably only mechanical keyboards.
- Price is often quality, but at the same time you must pay attention to whether it is true.
a) Multi-key support
b) Non-peelable font ( can not be ripped off ) or embossing
c) Ready-made schemes, or the ability to program your own backlight scheme
d) braided cable for cable safety

I think I'll go back to the shallow membrane keyboard someday.
Because it is very comfortable to type on keyboards like laptops.
( silent, sensitive to the touch )
Instead of a backlight, I'll think about a desk lamp someday.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

My off topic.
I see how shitty new mice are.
I have a similar experience.
My two multifunctional mice broke down, in the third the rubber from the wheel fell off, in the fourth the cheapest one disconnects at the start of the system. :evil:
I asked a friend what he uses.
He said the cheapest, such and such a company and he didn't have any problems.
I bought something similar and no problems.
It is known that the cheapest one does not have many functions, it is not comfortable, but it works for at least 2 years.

I can write what company I use, but I want you to try to look at the opinions of the product rather than the brand.
Brands can be a good indicator of quality in a given category,
but not necessarily all of them.
Because my keyboard works great for many years, but the mice of the same company quickly failed.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Logitech make everything from cheap rubber rubbish, AU$20, up to impressive key boards at $300. I am looking at one of their MX boards because that is the only type that feels right to me. It was discounted to $99, I missed it, and it is now back up to $200. You have to look at the individual models and type something on them to decide what is right for you.

I had a SteelSeries keyboard that felt great. Pound. Pound. Pound. Broken after years of use and abuse. :( Throw away. Now I find they have keyboards with five different mechanisms and I am back to finding a shop with them all side by side for a test.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

The one that I am using now is the Logitech K800 bought in 2011 and has been a good keyboard, wireless, Illuminated keys, no noise typing, long battery life. I still use it but the backlighting quit working and I type in low light settings. I have a book light that I use to see the keyboard at times.
I have found that the best setup is using a wired mouse and a wired keyboard if you use dual boot and I still use that setup.
I was wondering what others use in their setup.
Don't use a Bluetooth keyboard if dual booting, I can't get any of the F keys to work that soon after booting. So that leaves the Keychron board out unless you use the cable.
My favorite setup that I like is the Logitech Rollerball mouse and the Logitech MX Mechanical Mini, which is lighted and can be moved from one computer to another. It is quick and connects to the computer without any problems.
The best setup is the one that works best for you but knowing what others prefer and use can save you money and time. :)
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

My SteelSeries 6G v2 has one broken key I am going to replace. Soldered in. Should be fun. I like painful projects that require seven espressos just to get the case open. :shock:

Cherry MX Black keyswitches. Nice movement for thumping but noisy and not for typing while thinking. If I have to replace the keyswitch, I will buy the lightest silent lubricated tactile switches I can find.
iraweaver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iraweaver »

When it comes to finding a new keyboard to run on Linux, it really depends on your personal preferences. Some people prefer wired keyboards, while others prefer wireless ones. In my opinion,infra red keyboards are great for Linux as they have a reliable connection and a backlight feature that works great in low-light conditions. They are also easy to set up and use, and they are compatible with most operating systems. Those keyboards also work great in low-light conditions and have a backlihgt option. It's not common to see such a keyboard in someone's house but I've been using mine for years and it's still fine.
Jolly Roger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jolly Roger »

Hi Keith2021
---
If you want you can take a look at this post in Italian, it talks about Mechanical Keyboards, but regular keyboards are also featured.

https://forum.ubuntu-it.org/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=651461
---
I have been using a FILCO Mechanical Keyboard ( Majestouch-2 ) wired for several years now, and over time various cheap
Mice ( Amazon Basics / Logitech / HP ) wired currently Mouse M520 black, never had a problem.

https://www.fujitsu.com/emeia/products/ ... index.html
---
Hi.
⚠️
https://www.deepl.com/translator
🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺
Linux Mint LMDE 6 / Dell OptiPlex SSF Plus 7010 / Intel Core 13 i7-13700 / SSD NVMe M.2 Seagate FireCuda 530 Heatsink 1TB /
RAM DDR5 16 GB / Intel Raptor Lake-S UHD Graphics 770
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New Keyboard, which one. [Solved]

Post by Keith2021 »

Thanks all for the good ideas, they really helped.
I decide on the Logitech MX Mechanical Mini.
This is the best keyboard that I have ever had and I hope it lasts a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LK ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “Non-technical Questions”