hey clem, question.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

It's planned for 3.x. I think it's a very promising project and an already great piece of software. Their developers are very active and hopefully when we start looking at it for Linux Mint 3.x they'll have fixed a series of issues (java swing 1.5 guis, toggle button on pygtk.. etc).

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

the next Beryl release is scheduled for 20th Feb (coincidence?) by which time they should have fixed most of the outstanding bugs with the current release
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

ah ah !! Forget about it !! :lol:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

That's funny I would have said the opposite. In a Debian based distribution the ONLY right way to install something is via APT... it's documented, standardized and extremely consistent. If you install Firefox, Opera, Google Earth, whatever you want... the procedure is the same, and is defined by your distribution.

In Windows, it's pure chaos. Depending on who's developing the software you'll end up running a self extracting zip file, some nullsoft installer, some binary you just don't have a clue of... or whatever you think is going to install the soft you want without doing stuff to your system you actually can't check... anyway, you see what I mean?

Clem
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

clem wrote:That's funny I would have said the opposite. In a Debian based distribution the ONLY right way to install something is via APT... it's documented, standardized and extremely consistent. If you install Firefox, Opera, Google Earth, whatever you want... the procedure is the same, and is defined by your distribution.

In Windows, it's pure chaos. Depending on who's developing the software you'll end up running a self extracting zip file, some nullsoft installer, some binary you just don't have a clue of... or whatever you think is going to install the soft you want without doing stuff to your system you actually can't check... anyway, you see what I mean?

Clem
AAAH yes, Apt is a beautiful thing!!!!!!!! Only thing better is portage ;-)

Code: Select all

apt-get install <package name>
Can't really get any simpler than that, and apt does a wonderful job with dependancies. I have to work with Redhat, Fedora and CentOS at work, I just want to SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM.

OK, EOR....
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

Beryl has its own repository's have a look at my howto if you want to know how to add them and install Beryl.
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo »

I am on Mint Bianca live now.It is great,It is beautiful. I have not tested everything yet.But so far all I did works fine.My Mint Bea had an update that crashed my wireless.This has the wireless working.If I load it I hope my wireless stays on if I take updates.The Mint gets better all the time.I like the improved looks and control buttons. Thanks Clem.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”