major FileSystem changes ?!

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfab
Level 1
Level 1

major FileSystem changes ?!

Post by mfab »

Hey clem and everyone else in the developing team.

I have discovered some very interesting distribution some time ago.
gobolinux.org
What makes it so interesting is the fact that it uses a different way of using the filesystem. Here the description from distrowatch:
GoboLinux is a Linux distribution that breaks away from the historical UNIX directory hierarchy. Basically, this means that there are no directories such as /usr and /etc. The main idea of the alternative hierarchy is to store all files belonging to an application in its own separate subtree; therefore we have directories such as /Programs/GCC/2.95.3/lib. To allow the system to find these files, they are logically grouped in directories such as /System/Links/Executables, which, you guessed it, contains symbolic links to all executable files inside the Programs hierarchy. To maintain backwards compatibility with traditional Unix/Linux apps, there are symbolic links that mimic the Unix tree, such as "/usr/bin -> /System/Links/Executables", and "/sbin -> /System/Links/Executables" (this example shows that arbitrary differentiations between files of the same category were also removed).
I really do believe that this is a very nice way of keeping your hard-drive clean and always have the possibility to easily check on installed/or not installed files.

Yet I do like Mint very much and I think it is a great distro. Enjoy using it every day.

What do you think about adapting this sort of filesystem-usage? Would it bring us too far from ubuntu? Is it possible after all? Would you consider using it? (I am not so much of a technical guy that I know if it is possible to implement this to a already very stable and nice distro, but I would really like to see it in action and I am too afraid to try another distro at this point, because Mint is just too great!!! ;) )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

That would mean packaging things ourselves.. and I'm afraid we can't do that yet. Also, having files split across the filesystem and sorted by type (shares, config in /etc/, logs in /var) is very modular and allows more flexibility, so I'm not sure this only has advantages.

Clem
mfab
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mfab »

hmm okay.
Did not know that it was this much effort, but I already guessed it.
I just thought it might be interesting, because now and then I find myself wondering where all the files go/where I find something.
Perhaps it is just a matter of getting used to it, but I thought I might come up with some suggestion, because it encourages one to do so somewhere here in the forums. :P

Nevertheless thank you for considering my suggestion and please please: keep up the good work!!! :D

Return to “Non-technical Questions”