adobe flash

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonass

adobe flash

Post by jonass »

I just finished installing adobe flash on my xfce mint install and got to thinking, why do big sites like YouTube and hulu still use flash? Hasn't it kinda been dying out for awhile now? Maybe I read something wrong but I thought it was essentially being replaced by html5. Can anyone clarify for me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: adobe flash

Post by Orbmiser »

jonass wrote:I just finished installing adobe flash on my xfce mint install and got to thinking, why do big sites like YouTube and hulu still use flash? Hasn't it kinda been dying out for awhile now? Maybe I read something wrong but I thought it was essentially being replaced by html5. Can anyone clarify for me?
True and flash is no longer being supported on mobile devices & tablets.

But the reason is simple being YouTube or Hulu with humongous no of files?
And completely redo the whole website to comply with HTML5? All that has to be coded.

Still in spite of the growing popularity of HTML5 standard, most web developers and designers are reluctant to migrate to the new markup language, maybe because of the absence of a complete HTML5 specification or lack of practical information on HTML5 сoding.

Adobe Flash: I'm not dead yet!
http://www.zdnet.com/adobe-flash-im-not ... 000004996/
jonass

Post by jonass »

Interesting article. I must have misunderstood what flash actually was add I assumed it was kinda just a codec that played files inside a browser.
Armann

Post by Armann »

"maybe because of the absence of a complete HTML5 specification or lack of practical information on HTML5 сoding. "

Is the state of web standard still as bad with HTML5 ?
It's going to be a great day that Flash goes away. :)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”