v5 Beta or v4? - for parents

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
tali3sin
Level 1
Level 1

v5 Beta or v4? - for parents

Post by tali3sin » Tue May 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi there!

Picked up a cheap computer for my girlfriend's parents (their last one was seriously old) and presented them with the Linux option.
Given they generally just browse the 'net, print & scan, email, and would like to use Skype, it seems fairly safe.

Looked at my options, settled on Mint.

But... All of a sudden, there's a whole 'nother choice! The Elyssa Beta, or Daryna?
Going through the Elyssa topic, it sounds very stable, and it would be nice for them to have any new/helpful features it might include.

I just thought I'd put the question up before downloading the iso though...

...Is there any particular reason I *shouldn't* pick the beta?

Thanks in advance (:

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: v5 Beta or v4? - for parents

Post by Fred » Tue May 20, 2008 6:47 pm

tali3sin,

All I can do is give you an opinion. If I were in that situation I would not give them a beta version. By definition it isn't known to be stable and reliable.

If you could wait a few weeks until it goes gold I would then try Mint 5, but right now, it would be Mint 4.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

tali3sin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tali3sin » Tue May 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Cheers,

Those are essentially my feelings as well. They just have to fight my inner desire for everything to be cutting edge, all the time.

I just needed to hear someone else say it ;-)

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas » Tue May 20, 2008 8:03 pm

You can't go wrong with either. The Elyssa Beta, in my opinion, is more stable than Ubuntu 8.04 final release. But it's up to you.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Tue May 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Yes, maybe for you, but maybe not. See you can't know that. You haven't been using it long enough to even know that for your system. And even if it is for you, you can't know what it will do on another system. It hasn't been time tested on a variety of equipment. That is the whole point of beta testing. It was never intended to be a production ready, reliable desktop.

If you give the uninitiated a system that is really buggy on their equipment you will not be doing them, yourself, Mint, or Linux any favors.

Do you see my point now? :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rivenought » Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 pm

I just installed a new hard drive for my parents. Even though I am having excellent luck with Mint 5 Beta, I installed the solidly-stable Mint 4 version on their machine. In a few months, I can upgrade them, but for now, their needs are email, web surfing, and the GNOME games. Mint 4 is perfect. The choice is yours, but I just wanted to share my decision with you. Good luck.

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh » Tue May 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Yep give 'em Daryna, and don't worry about it being the old version. You won't personally be using it, and they will never know the difference.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”