About the next Elyssa Beta in Clem's blog announcement

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

About the next Elyssa Beta in Clem's blog announcement

Post by Lantesh » Wed May 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Can anyone on the Mint team verify if there be a way to upgrade the Elyssa 032 Beta to the new Beta? I would like to continue in the testing process, but don't want to reinstall again until the final version, if indeed that is even necessary. I'm really hoping to just upgrade straight through. 8)

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: About the next Elyssa Beta in Clem's blog announcement

Post by Fred » Wed May 21, 2008 7:31 pm

Lantesh,

I can't answer you question, but I can comment on it. I have never seen an upgrade on any OS or distro that was as clean and bug free as a fresh install.

You can take that for whatever it is worth. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Nomad
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nomad » Wed May 21, 2008 7:56 pm

I have to agree with Fred, not sure if there will be an update but I would never use an update. I made the mistake of trying to update xp to vista, unfortunately it destroyed the "single" license of vista that the DVD has on it because the system was unstable after the upgrade, so I had to hack it.....well then I deleted it as well and came to linux. :roll:

xvedejas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xvedejas » Wed May 21, 2008 8:15 pm

I'll just stay with the first beta; it works perfectly for me for now, if there's no upgrade, I say why not?

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh » Wed May 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Fred wrote:I can't answer you question, but I can comment on it. I have never seen an upgrade on any OS or distro that was as clean and bug free as a fresh install.
I completely agree, and I never ever ever ever upgrade from one OS to another! But my laziness is seeing this a little differently, as this is already Elyssa. How much is really going to be different? I suppose I'm looking at it sort of like I'll be doing updates. I can't imagine it's going to be much of a big deal. Of course I don't have a problem doing a complete re-install again if necessary. I may even make a separate user partition like we were talking about in another thread.

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ed@Mint » Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Installing the second beta if you already have the first will only be useful in two case :
1) you are willing to track bugs until the very last one (almost).
2) you had problems with the first beta and want to check if they are solved.

Other people should wait for Elyssa final.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org

muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by muskratmx » Wed May 21, 2008 10:51 pm

I have to kindly disaggree with you folks. In real debian you can pull "apt-get dist-upgrade" and it works with very few glitches. I did one just today that removed 5 packages and install 27 packages. I'm talking about debian lenny.

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ed@Mint » Thu May 22, 2008 2:48 am

muskratmx wrote:I have to kindly disaggree with you folks. In real debian you can pull "apt-get dist-upgrade" and it works with very few glitches. I did one just today that removed 5 packages and install 27 packages. I'm talking about debian lenny.
Thanks muskratmx but Debian is Debian and Mint is Mint.
It is not because Mint is based on Debian that this will work.
It's been two weeks since Husse and several of us have been writing everywhere to not dist-upgrade Mint, i can't believe you didn't see any of those posts.
So, please do not spread wrong information.
Sorry for being a bit aggressive but this is somehow ruining all the work that has been made in that sense.
In libro veritas

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org

Post by Guest » Thu May 22, 2008 9:51 am

Surely upgrading from Beta 1 to Beta 2 is not the same as upgrading from the previous version of Mint.

I agree the betas should be upgradable for testing purposes :)

muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by muskratmx » Thu May 22, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks muskratmx but Debian is Debian and Mint is Mint.
It is not because Mint is based on Debian that this will work.
It's been two weeks since Husse and several of us have been writing everywhere to not dist-upgrade Mint, i can't believe you didn't see any of those posts.
So, please do not spread wrong information.
Excess Me, BUT, I would never have said what I did except this thread is spreading wrong information.
I have never seen an upgrade on any OS or distro that was as clean and bug free as a fresh install.
This says "any OS or distro", if your talking about mint having problems, then keep it mint, don't excuss it with wrong information about "any OS".
I completely agree, and I never ever ever ever upgrade from one OS to another!
Again this say "one OS to another" not specific to Mint. So are we talking upgrading in general or upgrading Linux Mint. I was responding to these post in particular, nether of which even reference Linux Mint. So once again excess me, I was not spreading wrong information.
I have never seen an upgrade on any OS or distro that was as clean and bug free as a fresh install.
The command apt-get dist-upgrade is a valid command, in (as I said) a real debian install it works generally as crisp and clean as any fresh install.

I am all for correcting wrong information, hence my post.

You got to remember, What these newbies learn here, they take to other distros, when they go and test drive them. If you train a newbie, that dist-upgrade is a bad thing in general, not just bad for mint. then when that said newbie come over to debian or any other debian based distro, They have a fear of dist-upgrade.

So please, don't propogate wrong learning, such as Ubuntu does. The debian forums or full of people that were newbie/gurus in Ubuntu, and are always telling people how to do things the Ubuntu way in a debian box.

Now I understand Linux Mint isn't debian, But don't forget just because you don't want people to do dist-upgrade in mint. There is a reason the command was invented, and not just to trash your box.

So when you say never do a distro up grade from any OS, that is wrong.
It should read never do a distro up grade in Mint. (Maybe).

I have done it, and didn't brake anything. But not recently.
Surely upgrading from Beta 1 to Beta 2 is not the same as upgrading from the previous version of Mint.

I agree the betas should be upgradable for testing purposes
Actually that is the exact purpose of "dist-upgrade" in debian. To upgrade your testing box to keep it current. It also works from version to version with but isn't quite as crisp and clean.

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 am

My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ed@Mint » Thu May 22, 2008 11:49 am

Muskratmx,

First, i didn't say (and nobody did) this doesn't work on Debian. Here is the official Linux Mint forum so let's stay focused on Mint.
If you want to talk about Debian, go to the Chat about other distributions section.
Especially in a thread where we are helping somebody to figure things out.
I find it rude to come in and confuse those people with useless information in using Mint.

Second, with all your will to express your knowledge, you forget the main point : Debian is a rolling distribution and uses it's own repos. Mint is not and uses Ubuntu repos.
Try to dist-upgrade mint with ubuntu repos and see what happens. :wink:

And it is not my problem if a lot of people think that because one distro is based on another, you use it the same way. My goal here is to help people use Linux Mint.

Now let's hope this discussion is over and we'll be able to focus on helping others.
Ed
In libro veritas

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh » Thu May 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Let's see if we can get this thread back on track. First to clarify a couple things. I am not a Linux Newbie, but am certainly not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I like to consider myself an average user. That being said I fully understand that I can't do a dist-upgrade in Mint because we use the Ubuntu repositories. When I said I never upgrade from one OS to another I meant I never upgrade from an older version of an OS to it's next version, whatever that OS might be. I would not upgrade Windows XP to Vista, and I would not upgrade Daryna to Elyssa. I believe a clean install makes for a better install. But being that I am already running a clean install of Elyssa, I don't feel the need for another clean install when it's still in Beta. I'd like to continue to help in the Beta evaluation, if I can upgrade. If it's not possible I'll just wait for the final release.

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Thu May 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Ed and Lantesh I agree with your post completely and could not have said it better my self. Thanks.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by muskratmx » Sun May 25, 2008 12:49 am

First, i didn't say (and nobody did) this doesn't work on Debian. Here is the official Linux Mint forum so let's stay focused on Mint.
If you want to talk about Debian, go to the Chat about other distributions section.
Especially in a thread where we are helping somebody to figure things out.
I find it rude to come in and confuse those people with useless information in using Mint.

Second, with all your will to express your knowledge, you forget the main point : Debian is a rolling distribution and uses it's own repos. Mint is not and uses Ubuntu repos.
Try to dist-upgrade mint with ubuntu repos and see what happens. :wink:

And it is not my problem if a lot of people think that because one distro is based on another, you use it the same way. My goal here is to help people use Linux Mint.

Now let's hope this discussion is over and we'll be able to focus on helping others.
I got know problem with keeping mint, mint. But I wasn't the one said "any OS" that brings in the false info factor, and other distros into the thread, I was commenting on that and nothing more. I'm sorry if I didn't understand some folks can post false info off topic, but not others. Please forgive me. :-(

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sun May 25, 2008 5:27 pm

This topic has "derailed" considerably
Topic locked
There will probably not be an upgrade from a beta to the next - that is counter productive as you can never be sure what configurations are inherited and thus not if a problem in the later beta really is there, or in an old config...
With version 6 (not yet named) we will make a tool to upgrade
Even if a fresh install is the best you may not want to do that every six months :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “Non-technical Questions”