Mint 13 LTS iso update and ubuntu 12.04.x

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 13 LTS iso update and ubuntu 12.04.x

Post by karlchen »

Oh no, none of my computers is from the pre-PAE era. They are all perfectly able to handle PAE. :D
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

OT about karichen signature for EU
I agree but unfortunately the truth is...
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Emma Goldman
:D
rik_rs

Post by rik_rs »

About updating to 17: it's not so easy. It's no only a matter of PAE and stuff.
When a system used for work works, you'd better keep going with it. I've simulated an upgrade on a test machine and it's not easy to have all back. E.g. 32 bit stuff works on Mint 13 64, but on Mint 17 doesn't (case of not recent versions of XAMPP that I use for testing).

There are also problems upgrading from mint 17 to 17.X+ both in the upgrade process itself and in what it brings. The first thing to do is to remove Composite because on older hardware it sucks a lot (in both the meanings of the word). Rosa ease this with the new choice about Marco, Marco+Composite, Metacity, Compitz, etc.
Upgrade from version to version with the GUI is still a pain: from 17.x to x+1 I've always found problems such as updated software but not libraries (and old kernel is by design).

Moreover I have Mint 17.2 on my Laptop and I use it only once per week or less and I don't know why but the update requires to be run more and more times to work properly.
The en_GB it's always a soruce of problems (not found). To solve the problem I use clean, autoclean, autoremove, and any other kind of cache running bleachbit before any update and possibly it works in 2 or 3 retries.

I've never had such problems with Mint 13 and that's why I'm waiting to upgrade my workstation.
Mint 17 It's getting better, but unfortunately its end support it's close to that of Mint 13 :( so I hope for the best with Mint 18.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”