Who is Mints target user?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
BlueKnight

Re: Who is Mints target user?

Postby BlueKnight » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 am

biessri wrote:I used to be an Ubuntu user but the version after 10.10 were terrible and that's the reason I came to Mint.

Same reason as mine. But I think I was trapped in Ubuntu because I did not know much about others, but it was a great start anyway.

Linux Mint fits perfectly for my purposes. And I use it comfortably.

Who is Mints target user?

I think it is from new to more experienced users, without problems.

barth90
Level 1
Level 1

Postby barth90 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:12 am

I'm probably the typical new user of Mint.
A month ago I decided that I wanted to distance myself from Windows. I installed Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on my desktop and my laptop.
Then, in that month, started to play with it. I read this forum on a daily basis and pick up all kind of new tricks. I was able to automount my storage disk at startup, create a Samba environment for the network, and add little apps like Docky. I even like to play with the terminal!
I chose Mint (over Ubuntu, which I tried) because of its ease of use and the level of support.

It is an OS that I feel comfortable with and confident that I grow with in the years to come.

CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CtrlAltDel » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:36 pm

biessri wrote:I used to be an Ubuntu user but the version after 10.10 were terrible and that's the reason I came to Mint.

That is a good enough reason for anyone. Ubuntu lost me with the mandatory advertising included along with the new look desktop meant to resemble a laptop/I-Phone. I use a desktop computer because I like start buttons and icons. That's me, I'm old fashioned. But if I purchase a desktop, that is what I want it to look like.

I don't have a touch screen; I have a 22 inch monitor that is still too little for me to see the fonts sometimes. I may be going blind, I'm not sure as I don't have an eye doctor. I've been using Mint for quite a while, actually, probably longer than anyone here. It was 2010 when I first ditched my other OS and came to Mint.

Mint was my experience with Linux and I haven't looked back, honestly. I love it.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64bit

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DeMus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:24 pm

My story has been told by others already: started with DOS3.3, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, even ME, 2000 (at wotk) XP, a very short time Vista (guess you all know why) and before 7 came out I transferred to Linux: Ubuntu's Hardy Heron 8.04.
This was followed by 9.04 and 10.04 (never used the .10 releases cause they were not as good, so I've read). By the time 11.04 arrived it was time to quit using Ubuntu because of the dreadful Unity and Gnome 3. This is where Microsoft got the idea on how to build 8 and newer.
I then moved over to Mint and although, and even last weekend I tried it again, I have tried other distributions somehow my computer doesn't like them and it only runs well on Mint.
The first Mints I used the Gnome2 versions but suddenly I moved to KDE and still use it. I simply love it, it is so customizable, it looks great, works great, and the idea that it is slower than other DE's is, to me at least, a myth.
Mint is based on Ubuntu but I never use Ubuntu again. I simply don't like where they are going. I mean when I search for something on the net I want real answers, not answers from Amazon and others like that. Here in Holland we don't have Amazon (afaik) and I hope it stays like that.
I have tried using Kubuntu but it just doesn't do what I want it to do, so it was Mint KDE again, very fast.

Just as many other users I use the computer for browsing the net, emailing, using an office program for text and spreadsheets, listen to music, watching videos, nothing hightech. The system just has to run when I want it to run, it has to be stable, fast, and most of all: safe. And so, I come back to my story on the community pages: The 3 S'es. (http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1123

Thraxy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Thraxy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:25 am

I've been a Linux user for the last 8 or so years. Well, I'm an on/off user, but Linux Mint is always the distro I come back to every time. I'm not a programmer, and while I do build my own systems I'm not much of a hardware buff either. I think what attracts me to Mint is the ease of install (flash, java etc.) and that the Cinnamon DE doesn't break my workflow, like some other desktops do. Also, Clem fixed that one and only bug I submitted instantly, so I like him :lol:

What I need from an OS is a bit of image editing, video editing and gaming. At this stage Linux Mint (and most other distros, to be fair) can deliver. Ok, I'll be honest... I like green damnit.

Edit: I think I should mention that most desktop environments I've tried have been great. It's really only Unity that breaks my workflow xD
2 squirrels 1 nut :D

jtarin
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jtarin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:09 pm

Linux user for over 18 years.....Slackware user ....forever. Grew weary of package management and jumped to Ubuntu for efficiency. Jumped Ubuntu/Unity to Mint and wouldn't consider anything else...now.
Former Slackware user breaking bad.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”