Hardware/system demand

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Hardware/system demand

Post by MagnusB »

That seems a bit to low to run a live session, you can try, but don't expect to succeed. You should look in to distributions that are made for legacy hardware.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I'm all about getting my money's worth out of my hardware, but honestly don't you think you are due for an upgrade? I wouldn't waste my time on a 300 megahertz processor. You could probably find a used PC that's light years ahead of that at a garage sale for less than the cost of your favorite fast food meal.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Oh ok I can certainly understand the fun of seeing if it will work. Have fun.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

My 'Fun" computer is a 486DX100 - still running... ( 32Mb)
Duel booting with M$win3.1 / M$win98.

Anyway, I,ve found that sys monitor gives about 220Mb usage after a few minutes running ( 512 available ).
& with say FF3 & OOo 3 ( + sys mon) on three desktops. This is about what I'd call an average use.
It didn't matter what version either ( Xfce, Kde, Gnome ) either. Which I found suprising.
So, probably about 90% on a 256Mb machine... little or no swap usage.

P.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Just for info on minimum hardware requirement:
My 1999 hp Omnibook laptop (256MB RAM minus some MB for the graphics, processor around 333MHz) is running as a dual boot with W98 and Mint XFCE.
Gnome-Mint or KDE-Mint won't even install on this box since the live-CD will not run with so little RAM.

However, with Mint XFCE that laptop runs well enough to do all of my office work (Abiword/Gnumeric), and with an Edimax PCMCIA WiFi card (See Mint-Wiki/Hardware) it will even brouse the web.
Mint Daryna Fluxbox RC1 runs no swifter than Mint XFCE.
Of course this box breaks no speed records, but its not so slow that you would notice much difference to a new machine doing office work or surfing the net.

Helmut
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Try some specialized distros, like VectorLinux (might not be the best), Ubuntulite or SliTaz (maybe even DSL or Puppy).
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

160mb & 300mhz?
I'd stick this in the closet as a NAS. Headless. No X. Maybe stick two NICs in it and use it as a firewall. Put it in your DMZ as a torrent server.

But use as a desktop workstation? No. Maybe with Puppy or DSL.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”