Linux OS partition size

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Exodus_life
Level 3
Level 3

Linux OS partition size

Post by Exodus_life » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:47 pm

since i am coming from wondows i have noticed quite a bit of difference ,but something is puzzling me

when you install linux it only takes up a few [6?] gb of disk in a parttion,although windows will take up the entire HDD
window will continue to grow in size and very soon will take up 50-75-100 gb of space ,after cleaning up,disabling and removing as much crap as possible i could only get vista down to about 20gb :|

how does linux handle this ? as in when you get updates ad extra software, won't that require the base OS to increase in size and be crowded in such a small partition ??

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux OS partition size

Post by Pierre » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:41 am

the auto installer - should make it much bigger that just 6Gb :o
- a 'nix install - needs just as much space as a Windows install - does.
But - in your case - there was only ~20Gb available to use.

some people - when doing subsequent installs - manually partition the hdd - before actually running the installer.
- then use the 'something else' option.

so - if you are dual booting with a Windows O/S
- then around 30 - 50 % of the hdd - would be given over to the new Linux O/S.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Petro Dawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Petro Dawg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:54 am

I used to run a very small 1 to 2 Gig partition using Puppy Linux and had to learn to actively control partition size. I found that email settings can really eat up a lot of space. Having the email kept on the server and not saved to the hard-drive really helps save space when (like me) you have thousands of old emails just sitting in my accounts.

I believe the update process will automatically delete old versions of programs when downloading new version during updates. However, (last I checked) if you update the Linux kernal, old kernal headers are kept, and are selectable as a recovery option in grub. To keep the size down, you can delete all older kernal versions beyond the previous stable one (which you would want to save, just in case). Deleting old headers is easy to do using Synaptic package manager.

A program called Graphical Disk Map, is pretty useful for quickly identifying what is actually taking up file space on the hard-drive if you are interested.

Not sure if that fully answers your question, but I thought you might find it mildly interesting and/or helpful.
Who's awesome? You're awesome!

Exodus_life
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Exodus_life » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:52 am

i'm not dual booting ,,i only have linux on my 250gb HDD and i don't DL any emails ,they are all left on gmail

i am asking my initial question based on this screenshot
Attachments
File System Properties.png

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:44 am

Windows Installs more functionality by default and it also installs a paging file (swap file) and a hibernation file, and it stores system recovery files. It also installs more hardware drivers by default. This is why a new install of Windows will consume 20GB or more whereas Linux is typically 10GB (including swap). Obviously, Linux will consume more as you add applications, drivers and data so you will need a reasonably large partition for it...or expand its partition later.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:29 pm

I used to run a very small 1 to 2 Gig partition using Puppy Linux and had to learn to actively control partition size.

My Puppy fits on a 128MB SD card.

OP: my Mint 17 installs are usually < 5Gig, with LibreOffice and some extra stuff.

After running a bunch of updates, you'll have .deb files taking up space, which can be recovered with "bleachbit" or perhaps thru "apt-get".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

oneeyed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oneeyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:20 pm

My Linux Mint also takes less than 5 GB for the root partition (with swap and /home separated), and that's after a bunch of updates.

The minimum size recommended for Ubuntu distros (which Mint is based on) for root is 8 GB and 15-20 GB recommended.
While updates may increase the OS size a little, what matters most are the programs you later install.

Of course in most cases it's /home, that is all your personal files (pictures, videos, etc..), that takes the most space not the OS in itself.

Here is a link about size partitions in Ubuntu with more info : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:01 pm

I wanted to measure the size of my / directory and got the info as can be seen in the attachment.
I selected everything except /Music and /home, which have own partitions and got (in the blue bar at the bottom of the picture) 23.3-15.5=7.8GB. This is without swap but with all programs I need installed.
The funny thing is that at the top of the picture I get a whole lot of diskspace. To be honest, I don't think I have all that.

Barton7724
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barton7724 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:03 pm

On my old Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with a 320gb hard disk, I partitioned the hard drive with Gparted into 14 partitions. 1 swap (primary), 1 root (primary), 1 Mint (primary), 1 Extended partition, and 10 Logical partitions. I installed 10 Linux distros all bootable separately with Grub.

Here is a screen capture of Gparted, displaying all of the loaded distros. This is immediately after install. I gave each disro 25gb of space. They all shared the same swap.
You can see the initial disk space taken up by each disro.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:57 pm

Exodus_life wrote:i'm not dual booting ,,i only have linux on my 250gb HDD and i don't DL any emails ,they are all left on gmail

i am asking my initial question based on this screenshot
According to that screenshot, your partition is 250 GB, i.e. the entire hard drive. However, you're quite right: only 6,8 GB of space have been used.

In my experience, Linux requires much less space then Windows on a clean installation, which is consistent with what you're seeing. Some distros require even less space. I remember a thread on the Arch forums that was a sort of "challenge" to see just how small a working Arch install could be--I think it was around 200MB. There again, depending on your needs, you may take up a lot of disk space when you install Linux. Case in point: if you download all 4-5 of the Debian DVDs and install every single package (though I have no idea who would do such a thing) it's gonna take up a lot of disk space!**

Now, of course, as you use the system and create/save files more space will be taken up. So don't be surprised to see that 6,8 GB start creeping upwards. ;)

**UPDATE: I can't seem to find it on the Debian website now, but it used to be that there were multiple Debian DVDs that you could download. According to the website, the first DVD contained all the software that the average user would need to install while installing the actual OS, while the other DVDs were extra packages that most users could download later via apt. Anyone else remember this?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:21 am

Linux has more sophisticated memory and storage management than windows. The downside is that it's not quite as straightforward to see how much you're actually using. Especially with RAM.

My favorite GUI program for that sort of thing is hardinfo. It's in the repos and will give you a good picture of what partitions are there. I've DE/distro hopped on my netbook to the point where I don't always remember what apps you get by default with a particular DE version install. I generally use synaptic package manager to install ... it's definitely worth figuring out ... and always refresh the sources list first.

It's hard to say how much space a mint install will take without knowing the DE version. They vary widely. Installing multiple DEs will greatly increase the space linux takes. Some programs are pretty big too.

I always install using a separate partition for /home now. Among other advantages, this makes it easier to see how much space the OS is using without my user data.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”