[SOLVED] requesting tutorial modification

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
TomRoche
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] requesting tutorial modification

Post by TomRoche » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:18 am

2 questions--1 general, 1 specific:

We have a 3.5-year-old tutorial on Howto install LMDE with LVM (with or without encryption). The procedure has evolved considerably since then :-) but the scripts for doing this task were not (IMHO) adequately managing change, so I started a git repository to do this (as announced here).

Recently, a new member posted to the tutorial regarding a problem, which turned out to be a problem with old code. The new member recommended
Would be nice if the top post of this thread would point to the install script.
So my specific question is, can one or more of the admins or moderators of the LMDE tutorials forum make an appropriate edit to the tutorial?

My general question is, is this The Way(tm) to make this kind of request? or is there some procedure already in place to manage tutorial maintenance?

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I didn't see anything similar here or here.
Last edited by TomRoche on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: requesting tutorial modification

Post by karlchen » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:20 am

Hello, TomRoche.

Although I do see your point, I admit with all the different posts which you link to I have failed to find out to which location the first post in this thread, Howto install LMDE with LVM (with or without encryption), should point the readers. :?
Can you please clarify this for a moderator who may be a bit slow in the uptake, the more so as he does not use LMDE himself?

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

TomRoche
Level 4
Level 4

Re: requesting tutorial modification

Post by TomRoche » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:39 pm

Apologies for the delay in responding:
karlchen wrote:with all the different posts which you link to I have failed to find out to which location the first post in this thread, Howto install LMDE with LVM (with or without encryption), should point the readers.
Good point. Here's what I would do: replace the beginning of the first post in that thread, which is currently
Introduction

There are several decent guides out there for installing Linux Mint Debian Edition on an encrypted LVM file system. I haven't seen one yet, however, that does this with just the LMDE install DVD and the computer. This howto has you first install Debian Testing using a Debian Testing install CD or DVD, modify the package sources, and then install the LMDE packages. The problem is that you need a good network connection and alot of packages are missing that would be installed with the standard LMDE installer. This guide uses a method similar to the howto below, and is a good reference, but it requires you to install LMDE to some external media that will be copied back; an unnecessary step.

This guide will explain how to install LMDE using nothing but the LMDE install media and a network connection. It is expected that those following this guide are comfortable entering commands in a terminal.

Warning -- The procedure outlined in this document is for installing a clean version of Linux Mint Debian Edition using the entire hard drive. It will overwrite any and all data. Please be sure to backup important data to external media before proceeding.
with the following text
Update

Since this tutorial was written, the install process has evolved, and code has been written to automate the process. One repository for such code is here.

Warning -- The procedures outlined in this thread install a clean version of Linux Mint Debian Edition over an entire hard drive. It will overwrite all data on that drive! Backup any important data on that drive to external media before proceeding!

Introduction

Several guides are available for installing Linux Mint Debian Edition on an encrypted LVM file system. This guide will explain how to install LMDE using nothing but a single install medium (LiveCD, LiveDVD, or LiveUSB) and a network connection. It is expected that those following this guide are comfortable entering commands in a terminal.
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed the [code] tags into [quote] tags => post readable more easily ;-)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”