Why is Mint (and desktop Linux in general) so cumbersome?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why is Mint (and desktop Linux in general) so cumbersome

Post by MtnDewManiac » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:31 pm

z31fanatic wrote:
I think you need to thank MS for making you an easy $40 :wink:[/quote]

I did thank him for hiring his lazy-*** son and not firing him or at least dragging him out back and giving him a long-needed attitude adjustment for sitting around playing on the Internet all day long when customers aren't there instead of doing things like, you know, calling around to scare up business, straightening up the extremely cluttered shop, or at least wondering around picking up trash once in a while.

He didn't say anything in reply.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

flybynight
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:10 am

Grimmway wrote:This is bizarre and interesting. The Linux community has a chance to help a new user make it over the hump, past the learning curve, and into a happy Linux experience.

However, when Raident expresses some feelings and frustrations about his (?) experience, and asks for help & guidance, he is refuted, called a troll, and becomes a target for ad hominems? He did not say "Adios" to Linux. Yet he was treated as if he had?

I too am new to Linux Mint, and want to make it work, removing my dependence on MS and other corporate OS solutions.
I too am having many little issues that I do not know how to overcome.
I too have many questions about how to configure, what to turn on/off, and the whys/hows of Linux.
I too have multiple frustrations about Linux Mint that a long-time user can easily overcome.

Most of the replies are disheartening. Understand that Raident's experience and questions are not an attack on you, your OS of choice, your favorite TV show, your politics, whatever.

If you have nothing constructive to add, why respond? Might as well just reply with "STFU Noob". If you want Linux Mint to grow in adoption, get some thicker skin and help. Ask the OP probing questions, ask direct questions, ask for the command line outputs you need to help diagnose the issues. Otherwise, it will remain niche.

I have a ton of questions regarding out of the box support for Linux Mint. I expect to get them answered here as well.

--Grimmway
Seconded. I'm somewhat a newb myself to Linux and I've usually found this forum to be helpful and non-condescending.

That being said, maybe Raident didn't "present" his post/questions in what some might consider the best way, but there is no reason to disparage someone who is reaching out to a new community and an OS that they are wary of for whatever reason. (and I think the "Troll Meter" post not only inflammatory, but a needless jab at the OP.)

Please, let's not alienate those with genuine interest in GNU/Linux.

NeoGeo64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NeoGeo64 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Cumbersome is a matter of opinion. Cumbersome, to me, is having to install drivers for every piece of hardware and installing every piece of software I use after the OS "installation" is complete. Don't feed the trolls and close this thread. For some reason, I think the mods leave troll threads open to keep the user count up. I mean, it may be a good idea, a few stray users may convert to Mint and if that is the case so much the better. But I think the opposite is true.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Baby-Duck Syndrome?

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 pm

Let me share my recent experience with Windows 7.

I recently acquired a cheap eBay local pick-up with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit installed. First boot, desktop wouldn't load because of a system error and kept me waiting 10-15 minutes before I concluded that the system recovery tool wasn't going to fix the system and reset the machine. Second boot, desktop loaded and had 14 updates to install which took another 15 minutes. Third boot, another system error followed by an auto-reset and then another system error then a reset and then the system finally booted to desktop for another round of updates. In addition to all this, the OS wouldn't pick up my speakers for sound.

Ran Mint as a live distro and everything worked (including sound). Ubuntu didn't like the motherboard's onboard Nvidia graphics but with Mint everything was flawless apart from the screen going a bit off-colour upon shutdown.

rebusgadfly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rebusgadfly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I am a noob as well and I find the Linux Mint os fantastic and a welcome change from windows. I used windows since 3.1 and beta tested a few of their op systems including windows 10. I won't go into all the details of why I left windows for Linux because I bet all of us switched for similar reasons and I don't care to complain anymore than the next guy. I have learned so much reading the threads on the forum. Any question that I could raise was already answered before I asked. Just use the search feature and you'll find most of your problems already solved. I have found more kind and helpful folks here than any other forum I have been on in decades. if you show proper respect for others they will in turn treat you well as well.
__D rebusgadfly

Fragezeichen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fragezeichen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:57 am

While I find the manner in which the opening post was written and especially the title quite awkward and not really helpful as well, I think we should not fall into self-complacency. There are always things that could and should be improved. You have to be aware that, while a lot of us here know how to operate their systems without a GUI, for the majority of users a desktop environment is the only way control their computers, since they don't really know how to use a shell. So a comfortable and intuitive graphical interface is a very important matter indeed.
However, if you find something that seems not right to you, you shouldn't just rant about it in the forums. Instead, try to file a detailed and specific bug report for one problem at a time, so developers can take a look at it, and try to fix the issue in the next release or update, provided it is reproducible.

deleted

Post by deleted » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:43 pm

I thought the OP meant:
Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome
;)
-Z

duneelliot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by duneelliot » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 pm

I don't run into any of the problems of the OP. Makes me wonder if they were trying to run a heavier distro on an older machine rather than XFCE...just a thought.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:03 pm

I'll assume for half a moment that the question in the subject title is an honest one and take a stab at answering it (without making any value judgments in the process, lol):

Because anyone who wants to develop applications, DEs, et cetera for linux can - and does - do so and there is no requirement that those things operate in the same way. In this one small (no, not really :roll: ) regard, I'll give the Microsoft Windows world the nod for at least the appearance of having a set of standards(?) in how things operate. For example, most every app I ever used (IIRC - it has been "a while") in a Microsoft OS allowed the user to quit it by pressing Alt-f and then q. And even if that didn't work, Alt-F4 did. With linux, well... flip a coin as to whether or not the method of quitting an app that you used on the one you just quit will work on the next app you run....

I always figured that was why some people have been known to say that using linux could, at times, be akin to herding 100 angry cats. That were schizophrenic. And on acid. Enjoyable, sure, lol, but occasionally a bit interesting. Still, it's sort of like democracy: It's not the best - but it is the best that humans have come up with to date. I like it (linux, I mean).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”