how do i export my picture file to the avatar? (solved)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
noxcruor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how do i export my picture file to the avatar? (solved)

Post by noxcruor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi all, I seem to be having the same problem, and can't determine how to fix this. My image is 70x70, 4.2kb in size, and I'm using postimage.org. I've also tried using httpsimage.com and imgur with no luck. I keep being told that the URL is invalid. I don't understand what is wrong.
-NoxCruor "Nox"
Linux Mint MATE 17.3 Rosa on Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q850; Intel i7; GPU NVIDIA GTS 250M
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Which file format are you using?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

noxcruor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noxcruor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:46 pm

jpg but I've also tried png
-NoxCruor "Nox"
Linux Mint MATE 17.3 Rosa on Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q850; Intel i7; GPU NVIDIA GTS 250M
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 pm

Hmm, very odd. Can you give an example of a URL that's considered invalid?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

noxcruor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noxcruor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:14 pm

-NoxCruor "Nox"

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi, folks,

those of you who have been trying in vain to make your profile use an external avatar image file lately:
as unlikely as it may sound, but very likely it is not your fault.
Seem as if currently it simply does not work.
The only thing which you can do is waiting for the feature to start working properly again.
Sorry. :cry:

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

noxcruor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by noxcruor » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:03 pm

Ah ok. Thanks Karl. It's appreciated.
-NoxCruor "Nox"

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:18 pm

Just verified I would be affected, too, by pretending I wanted to change my avatar file.
Get back
(1) the size of my image (height x width) were not determinable
(2) the URL were invalid
Quite obviously, the URL is perfectly correct:
The amazing thing, this tag does not work inside this post, either, same error message about being unable to determine height and width:

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ANGBZcF.png[/img]
This tag works inside this post, however:

[rimg]https://i.imgur.com/ANGBZcF.png[/rimg]
Downside:
[ rimg ] can be used inside a post, see above, but not inside the profile - avatar setting.

P.S.:
Firefox has got no problem displaying the dimensions of my image file as 180x180 by the way. So it does not seem to be impossible to determine width and height of the image.
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:59 pm

I was caught in this trap, also. On a whim, I decided to delete my avatar (https://i.imgur.com/Fz8KH1Y.png) and the forum refused to accept any new one (https://openmerchantaccount.com/img2/ut-108x86x.jpg) - and then refused to reload the previous one... :evil:
I feel naked... :(
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi, austin.texas.
Perhaps you could use an internal avatar for the time being, maybe the US flag. The Texas flag is not in the list I guess.
Cheers,
Karl

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:52 am

austin.texas wrote:I was caught in this trap, also. On a whim, I decided to delete my avatar (https://i.imgur.com/Fz8KH1Y.png) and the forum refused to accept any new one (https://openmerchantaccount.com/img2/ut-108x86x.jpg) - and then refused to reload the previous one... :evil:
I feel naked... :(
Fixed :wink:

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:57 am

Apologies to anybody that spent time on this. Indeed during the hardening of the servers something was done that unintentionally made it impossible for you to set a remote avatar image. It's fixed now with austin.texas being the lucky test case.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:22 am

Veel dank, xenopeek!
You are awesome!
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:44 am

Hi, xenopeek.

As a side effect using

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ANGBZcF.png[/img]
is possible as well, provided the image file does not exceed the limit of 320x200 pixels.
When changing your avatar, make sure that the image which you link to does not exceed 120x120 pixels. In the past the forum software would scale down larger images. It does not want to do so any longer. So resize your image accordingly beforehand.

Cheers,
Karl

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:03 am

xenopeek wrote:Indeed during the hardening of the servers something was done that unintentionally made it impossible for you to set a remote avatar image.
Maybe that's a GOOD thing? I just copied the image address to Karl's cat avatar, expecting to see that it resides on Mint's server. Imagine my surprise when I saw:

https://i.imgur.com/ANGBZcF.png
I'm not real clear on... things (or stuff (lol) ). But does that mean that it loads the avatar image from a third-party website every time it sends it to one of us (IOW, whenever we view a thread that contains it)?

Shouldn't images be stored locally whenever possible? I don't guess that imgur is malicious (I don't KNOW, lol - but I am feeling especially optimistic today :lol: ), but I cannot make the same assumption about every single website on the Internet from which an image might originate. (Or are avatars only accepted from certain websites?) Isn't there some kind of... displaying my ignorance again here :roll: ... something bad that involves hiding a 1x1 image somewhere on the web page? As a marker or...? I'd guess that a 180x180 image would serve the same purpose.

BtW: My comments concerning (my observations about) this web forum software... I did not mean to imply bad things about the Mint folks. If it is more secure than previously, yes, that is a good thing. I should have assumed that to be the case, since, well... If it is not as nice looking / easy to use / featured / functional / usable / fresh-smelling (lol) as, say, vBulletin, then it is only logical that it has SOME kind of saving grace - after all, why else would Clem (et al) continue to use the thing? It was probably free or very, very cheap, too. That would, I suppose, be worth giving the thousands of users who visit the website less than you could (by going with a better class of forum software). After all, you do not charge us a penny for the privilege of visiting (unless you're serving the mouth-breathers ads, lol, but my script-blocker would ensure that I'd be blissfully unaware of that). And, truthfully, it could be even worse and I wouldn't think any less of the distro. So why spend money for something that isn't going to affect the way that we feel about that? <SHRUGS> As far as that goes, it is NOT the worst example of forum software that I have ever encountered; you should see the forum for my cell phone provider

https://community.republicwireless.com/welcome
I think it uses something called "Jive." Or maybe someone called it a "jive turkey" and the term just stuck with me. But, anyway, it's bloody awful. And in a race against bloody awful, not very good will win by a mile every time, lol. (OtOH, $10 per month for unlimited talk/text and reasonably cheap data... is worth the punishing experience of using their forum.) So... IDK. I am glad it's more secure than it was. Would it be even MORE secure if you hosted all avatar images on your own server? With the file size limitation being so small, it shouldn't be a significant additional load, should it? Again, I did not mean to lead anyone to feel that I thought any less of Mint or its developer/etc. by my comments about the software, and I apologize if anyone was incapable of understanding that initially. I also apologize for posting them in this thread instead of somewhere else (perhaps in their own thread); I must have gotten sidetracked, somehow.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Seffis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Seffis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:31 am

On and off topic... Animated avatars are annoying, serve no purpose, and should be banned. I am forced to use Adblock on this forum just to block these avatars.
Toshiba C655-S5549 Intel I3 dual core Intel Graphics 3000

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:58 am

Seffis wrote:Animated avatars are annoying, serve no purpose, and should be banned.
You could just as easily have typed:
"Avatars are annoying, serve no purpose, and should be banned."

Or "Multiple colors are annoying, serve no purpose, and should be banned."

Hey, what about "Smileys are annoying, serve no purpose, and should be banned."

Et cetera.

Personally, I don't pay a great deal of attention to them. Or, for that matter, to who posted a thread/post that I'm reading (unless I am quoting it). But I don't have a problem with you blocking them. Others here might be annoyed at your wanting to ban their avatar images, though :wink: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:19 am

Seffis wrote:On and off topic... Animated avatars are annoying, serve no purpose, and should be banned. I am forced to use Adblock on this forum just to block these avatars.
I agree, they are needlessly distracting. Then again, Adblock is nice to have anyway, so that's not a bad solution.
However, if the PTB decide to give us the option of local avatars again, they could reduce the image formats to .jpg and .png and that would be that. :wink:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”