Before you're elegible to post, you must...????

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Riverglen
Level 1
Level 1

Before you're elegible to post, you must...????

Post by Riverglen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:13 pm

I just installed mint 17.2 as a dual boot on a machine that was already running Win-7. Install was very straightforward and my initial impressions are very positive. BUT I did have one little wrinkle regarding wireless networking, so I wanted to post a question in this forum.

I registered with no problems, logged in and started looking around. But nowhere could I find any way to post a question. No relevant buttons anywhere. Looked at the FAQ related to initiating a post which wasn't helpful, since it referred to the non-existent buttons. So, logged out and came back later, but still no joy. Spent some more time looking around, read the forum rules and policies, an now I am suddenly able to initiate a post. But I have no idea in world what I did to earn the right to do so.

I'm guessing that reading the rules is a prerequisite to being allowed to post? If there is some sort of hoop you have to jump through to be allowed to post a topic, other than being properly registered and activated, you really need to tell people what is required. My suggestion would be to include it in the "welcome" e-mail.

And, for what it's worth, my networking problem seems to have solved itself, so I'm happy.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Before you're elegible to post, you must...????

Post by xenopeek » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:52 am

Split from the forum rules and moved here. To be able to post you need to:
a) register an account
b) activate the account by clicking the activation link in the email that will be sent to you
c) log in to your activated account
d) go to a forum and click the "new topic" button there. Some forums consist of sub-forums, like networking. You can't post topics in the networking forum but only in the relevant subforum there. It think that's where you mixed things up.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:05 am

xenopeek wrote:d) go to a forum and click the "new topic" button there. Some forums consist of sub-forums, like networking. You can't post topics in the networking forum but only in the relevant subforum there. It think that's where you mixed things up.
I can remember having problems with that as well, at first.... Somehow it wasn't a very intuitive process. I recall feeling rather frustrated at the time, too.

Maybe it would be better if the current "newtopic" button would be more prominent, and also be spelled "New topic" (with a capital first letter and a space between the words). Maybe also a bigger button, more in the center instead of to the left, more striking colours....

And an explanation on top of a non-postable forum with postable subfora, would perhaps be useful as well: "You can't post a new topic here, please select a subforum first".

Just my two cents. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:13 am

Pjotr wrote:And an explanation on top of a non-postable forum with postable subfora, would perhaps be useful as well: "You can't post a new topic here, please select a subforum first".
In phpBB terms, it's not a forum but a category. Can't put notices on a category...

Riverglen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Riverglen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Well, I now think I can reconstruct the root of my confusion. If I start from the Board Index page and select Networking, I'm presented with a page that provides links to three sub-categories. But it also contains a window of "active topics" and it wasn't clear to me what the scope of that list was (one of the sub-categories, all three, or..?). At this level you still aren't shown a "Post new topic" button, and if you select a topic from the list, all you get is a "Reply" button for that thread (makes sense).

Now I'd like to believe that I had the sense to select one of the sub-categories to open, where I now can find an obvious "Post" button. But I certainly didn't get that far the first time I tried. I think that the presence of the "Active Topics" list was what put me off the track. Too much information for my aging CPU.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:59 am

Pjotr wrote:And an explanation on top of a non-postable forum with postable subfora, would perhaps be useful as well: "You can't post a new topic here, please select a subforum first".
^^^^^THIS!^^^^^

A lot of people will keep hammering away until they figure it out (or stumble into a solution, even if they never really figure it out). But some people will undoubtedly get frustrated. Especially if they've just installed Mint for the first time - maybe even linux for the first time - and encountered a problem, then found the forum / visited / signed up / activated the account / logged in, with their frustration level elevating steadily the entire time (especially if their issue has to do with a lack of Internet connectivity and they're having to use a friend's or a public computer for this), then they get to the Networking forum and... cannot figure out how to make a post. [EDIT: And this issue is probably(!) exascerbated by the fact that, even though a user cannot create a thread in areas such as the "Networking" forum(/sub-forum/area), he/she can READ threads there, because you have, apparently, chosen to display that area's sub-whatever's threads in it!(!!!). Now I'm no rocket surgeon or brain scientist, but if I was a new user, and found myself in an area that had no "create" button, several sub-areas displayed, and NO threads showing... I just might figure out that I was supposed to enter one of those sub-areas and create my thread THERE. That's my 2¢ (and that plus a couple of pennies would be worth an actual 2¢, lol).]

I find myself hoping that those people, after they finish yelling and return home to reformat their drive and try again with a different OS/distro that hopefully has a friendlier (by this, I mean easier to use) support forum... Don't just give up and install one of Microsoft's OS.

A new user's first post is either going to be an introductory thread or a "Help, I just installed your distro and I can't figure out how to..." one. Y'all should encourage the former and help with the latter by doing what Pjotr suggested or, if the forum software you have chosen is not capable of being set up this way, get very specific in regards to which forums/sub-forums/sections/whatever you wish to call them that the user can and CANNOT create threads in. (After having turned blue and passed out, I have since stopped holding my breath for a new, decent forum software. As I am happy with Mint and the vast majority of the people who post/help here, I have decided to just deal with it the best that I can. But a new user has probably not experienced either of these positives and will, in the event of initial or early problems, likely get hit with the negative of that forum software and may not stick around to encounter said positives. So please strongly consider "updating" that welcome/instruction email. Thanks!)

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

WallaceForPresident
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WallaceForPresident » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:23 pm

"The username you entered is already in use, please select an alternative.
The entered e-mail address is already in use."

and

"The specified username is currently inactive. If you have problems activating your account, please contact a board administrator."

No matter how many times I click the "resend activation email" it never comes. And it doesn't go to a SPAM folder either, because I've checked.
I've tried to register with about 10 different emails, and so far only ONE has received the rare and elusive registration email.

Funny, they don't provide a way to "contact the administrator" until you log in. :)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:51 am

WallaceForPresident wrote:Funny, they don't provide a way to "contact the administrator" until you log in. :)
http://www.linuxmint.com/contactus.php

Return to “Non-technical Questions”