How is software chosen to be in the repos?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

How is software chosen to be in the repos?

Post by myrkat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:38 am

I was curious how the various software is chosen to be included in the repositories. The reason being, I would love to see the trial version of Pixeluvo included. I believe they added it to Gentoo(?) and Arch(definitely). It's a great GIMP alternative, and worth it's price for me.

Does Mint ever include trial versions of commercial Linux software?
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How is software chosen to be in the repos?

Post by xenopeek » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:45 am

Linux Mint doesn't include commercial trialware in their repositories and doesn't have an interface for purchasing commercial software anyway. Pixeluvo have a .deb file you can download from their website for easy installation.

Arch Linux doesn't have it in its repositories either. The link you shared is to to the AUR, the ports system for Arch Linux. All that is in the AUR is a user provided script to download a package from the Pixeluvo website and repackage it on your own computer as a package that you can locally install with Arch Linux' package manager (pacman).

myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by myrkat » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Thank you for the reply and information. I am not familiar with Arch, so did not pick up the AUR thing. Good to know.
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)

Alley Cat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Alley Cat » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:10 am

Pixeluvo is also available through Steam.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:34 pm

I was curious what the answer is to the general question, "How is software chosen". Is the answer it must be one of the GPL licenses and recommended by users or developers?

I was reading the git issues for bimp for gimp at git. And they were talking about people wanting a .deb for bimp and a user said that they filed a request.

The one thing I noticed, just because software is in the repository doesn't mean it is "current" or supported (software vs distro). I've been customizing gimp after installing mint and noticed a couple things (although it is true in general not just gimp):

- there is software that is current, but an older version is in the repo (gmic - there's more but this was off the top of my head).
- there is software that is in the repo that is not supported by anyone (screenlets - "Visit Homepage" from Synaptic Package Manager brings up a default Apache HTTP server page and further searches didn't find it) .

A number of people were complaining that things for gimp 2.6 don't work in 2.8 (gimp-plugin-registry). In general, in the Synaptic Package Manager there is a "Ubuntu wheel" next to some packages. If you go to Help -> Icon Legend it says, "Package is supported". But I think that means supported by the distribution, not necessarily the software developer... that could be any state. So anything without that symbol, I'm guessing, install at your own risk???

Is the gimp registry the place to go for plug-ins these days? It says it has been "locked down" since last 2014 due to spam. :? :)

English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:03 am

I've always been happy enough with the programs that come from the Software Centre. In fact, I think it's good that they hang back with tried and tested versions of software instead of upgrading to newer but less stable versions (case in point SuperTuxKart 8.1 v 9.0).

I regard the Software Centre as the safest and most reliable place to download any software.

The only thing I don't get is why they include PS1 and Saturn emulators (which are buggy and experimental at best) at the expense of two highly accurate and reliable emulators (Kega Fusion and SNES9x).

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 am

English Invader wrote:I don't get is why they
"they" are likely community maintainers; only about 25% of the packages in the Ubuntu repositories are done by Canonical employees. The other 75% are contributed by community maintainers. Mostly they import packages from Debian repositories and repackage them for Ubuntu.

Neither Kega Fusion nor SENS9x are available in Debian. These packages not being in Ubuntu means nobody cares enough about these to package them for Ubuntu and steps up as a community maintainer. Linux Mint developers aren't going to spend time on this either; they are but a small team and have enough to do. Apparently none of the users of Kega Fusion or SNES9x care enough about these packages being in Ubuntu to do something about it :wink:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”