Mint mirrors update/ update reports

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kdlm

Mint mirrors update/ update reports

Post by kdlm »

I just installed a mint mirrors update, priority 1. Afterwards I thought that could be a clever way to take over someone's computer if it made your updates go to the wrong server. That's probably paranoia but I'd like a confirmation that it was a legitimate update and to know if there is a place where such things can be checked.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint mirrors update/ update reports

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kdlm.

Assuming that Linux Mint Update Manager brought the mint-mirrors update to you, it should be genuine. Just checked on packages.linuxmint.com. The current version of mint-mirrors is v1.1.3. So in case your mint-mirrors version is 1.1.3 as well, it will be the genuine version.

You might like to launch a terminal window, run the following commandlines and post their complete screen output here for inspection:
  • Mint version and list of configured software repositories:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sr
    (capital S, lowercase r)
  • Which Mint Mirrors have been installed and where from:

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy mint-mirrors
Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

kdlm wrote:I just installed a mint mirrors update, priority 1. Afterwards I thought that could be a clever way to take over someone's computer if it made your updates go to the wrong server. That's probably paranoia but I'd like a confirmation that it was a legitimate update and to know if there is a place where such things can be checked.

Yes, it is a legit update.
killerbees19

Post by killerbees19 »

kdlm wrote:Afterwards I thought that could be a clever way to take over someone's computer if it made your updates go to the wrong server.
All packages have a digital signature which is whitelisted in your local package manager. Nobody can modify packages without having the private key(s) from Linux Mint. Sure, someone could, but it would throw out a big warning/confirmation message!

Even the mirror operators (like me) couldn't change package contents without attracting users attention. That's the security model behind APT.
kdlm

Post by kdlm »

I though I might be a bit paranoid. Thanks for confirmation and explanation of security protocols.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”