Tor anyone?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Tor anyone?

Post by KBD47 »

16 Best Tor Alternatives For Anonymity
https://www.quora.com/Why-TOR-is-not-secure-anymore

I would not rely upon Tor. It is a target for intelligence agencies and you can be sure they are running exit nodes. A VPN is a better choice.

For average users good practice is to use a browser like Firefox with Duckduckgo or Smartpage as your search engine, pop up blocker like Ublock Origin, and I also add Privacy Badger and Https Everywhere. But I'm not visiting dangerous or exotic web sites, which is why I say average user. Also avoid Facebook and Google like the plague if you care about your privacy.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Assuming all the exit nodes are under control from an agency, it still doesn't mean a lot.
There are 2 nodes between you and the exit, and they prevent the exit node to know where the data are from.

If you use https connexions, the exit node doesn't see much.
Faust

Post by Faust »

killer de bug wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 am Assuming all the exit nodes are under control from an agency, it still doesn't mean a lot.
There are 2 nodes between you and the exit, and they prevent the exit node to know where the data are from.

If you use https connexions, the exit node doesn't see much.
I agree .

Tor is not perfect but it's the best we have ( better than no Tor ? )
And using Tor via a good quality VPN is pretty solid .
There are complex correlation techniques that may identify a particular user by monitoring Tor exit traffic ,
but if someone is being targeted to that degree , it's pretty much " game over " anyway .

It's not a coincidence that systems such as Tails , Whonix , Subgraph etc. use Tor browsers by default .
And those folk know a thing or two about these matters .....
.... " smarter than the average bear Boo-Boo " - :)
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Hoser Rob:

Sorry about that typo, yes you are right it is "tenet", not "tenant", both words from forms of the French verb tenir, (to hold, etc.) and all ultimately from the Latin "tenet". Thanks for calling my attention to the error.

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:42 am
WHVW wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 pm... Stories I have heard (this is circumstantial to be sure) say the TOR network is actually created and enhanced by the spooks: simply because they are in need of such a tool themselves. (O.K. that's believable) ...
Circumstantial? It's pathological tinfoil hat stupidity. Tor has been hacked for a long time. They don't NEED to create somthing lkike that. BTW it's "privacy is a basic tenet of human dignity", not 'tenant'.
We all make them (typos) from time to time:
Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:42 am
They don't NEED to create somthing lkike that.
[/quote]

I did my best to stress (although it apparently was not enough) that (that) spook story was indeed circumstantial.
Spooks do use the internet, and it is obvious that they will need to create some sort of methodology to obscure their communications. Tor? some other Tor-like creation? Networks lurking in the murky-est shadows of the darknet? Mathematically, it is rather safe to assume that none of us (here) will ever know exactly. Speculation is the only tool we have, it is fine to use it, always bearing in mind that it is, ultimately, still just speculation.

Later folks...
RobertService

Post by RobertService »

There's an elegantly simple way to use your computer to send sensitive messages--
type the message, print it out, drop it in a plain envelope with plain, ordinary postage, and mail it.
USPS is the most secure message transmission scheme you can find. Anywhere. At any cost.

There's only one problem: you don't have the satisfaction of alerting the spooks to the fact that you're screwing them.

[ Spook ranking:
#0: your ISP
#1: your telecom carrier
#2-#21: Facebook
#22-31: Google
#32: NSA ]
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

RobertService:

RobertService says:
USPS is the most secure message transmission scheme you can find. Anywhere. At any cost.
You are right, of course, but only for awhile. Republicans, and their buddies, those "men who moil for gold" will eventually succeed in their stated goal of privatising it, at which point (as a private corporation) it will have no more of an obligation to privacy than Google, Facebook or your ISP.

Later, folks
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

chiseling away at privacy blocking (chromium browsers) i added another module to ublock origin telling sites adblocking and canvas fingerprinting is not enabled. my speed has also increased probably due to sites not getting an report that blocking is enabled. i tried using TOR (not browser bundle just privoxy/tor combination) which finally got working but having only one chrome profile it interferes with privacy addons but successfully integrated tor with chrome for testing which is still slow as molasses. maybe i'll post my finding but will not be responsible if chrome profile gets borked.

without editing ublock origin

with easy instruction to block anti-adblocking in ublock

test here https://browserleaks.com/proxy

fix here https://jspenguin2017.github.io/uBlockP ... ock-origin

AFTER editing your ublock Origin advanced settings to replace unset, you should enable the THREE custom filters at bottom of ublock filter lists and IMPORTANT disable/enable ublock to kickstart the new settings

Return to “Non-technical Questions”