Downloading .iso is forbidden; how to get Mint .iso?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sbkenn

Downloading .iso is forbidden; how to get Mint .iso?

Post by sbkenn »

Hi. Could someone make a current Mint/Cinnamon 32bit image available to me with a different name than .iso ? I think my PC has been hacked, and it is time for a new install anyway, but I can't download an iso to this (library) computer ... they have a block on iso, though I don't know if it is the name, or the format that is checked. If someone could save a file, having changed it's name on dropbox or similar and email me a link, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Downloading .iso is forbidden; how to get Mint .iso?

Post by richyrich »

Some of my friends have had better luck using the ftp protocol. Thry this, hope it will work for you too ! Please let us know . .

[url=ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/17.2/linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-32bit.iso]ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/17.2/linuxmint-17.2-cinnamon-32bit.iso[/url]
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you have any(!) old ISO-image of any Linux-distribution, you might use it (after burning to dvd) to download.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'm uploading to dropbox now (though it says another 4 hours are left), but have you tried torrenting?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

If you can't do anything else, you can buy it on DVD or USB.

Linux Mint 17.2 CINNAMON LINUX INSTALL & LIVE DVDs - 2015 - 32 & 64-BIT
Item condition:Brand New
Price:US $4.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linux-Mint-17-2 ... Swv0tVf5O1
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

sbkenn wrote:I can't download an iso to this (library) computer
Their network, their rules.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Habitual wrote:
sbkenn wrote:I can't download an iso to this (library) computer
Their network, their rules.
Fair point.

OP: can you provide more details on why you can't download an iso to your own computer? And what do you mean by "hacked"?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

One trick can be that "save as somemint.txt" instead of somemint.iso
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

Yeah, not quite enough information to know what your situation is (in some library). I do know that libraries on college campuses with public computer facilities generally have restrictions on access and use of their networks for security reasons. This goes all the way back to Napster network clogging back in the day, with students downloading all sorts of music for "free", and for which universities were eventually held accountable by the recording industry. The university for which I used to work restricts activity by EID identification (are you a student, faculty, or staff person?), bandwidth monitoring and restrictions, and filtering of certain file types. They also restrict some cross talk between technologies such as those encouraged by Google and other cloud oriented services. In any case, at a library, they probably don't want you to download an ISO file in fear that you might try to install it on one of their public computers (though if their computers were nailed down security-wise, that should be difficult if not impossible to do.) If you live in campus housing like a dorm, where you by default are plugged into the college network, your best bet would be to take your laptop or mobile device to a public wifi facility and download the ISO there.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

So how did this go for you?
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello sbkenn and welcome to the Linux Mint forum - What about files in .zip format? Are you allowed to download them or are they also verboten?

Also, are you allowed to download and run .exe files, such as the portable version of 7-Zip? This would not install 7-Zip on the host computer, but if the portable version of 7-Zip was copied to a USB flash drive along with the .iso in .zip format, would the host machine allow you to run it in order to extract the .iso to the USB flash drive?
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Thanks Richyrich. I was looking for a newer 32 bit LM than 17.0 version 2 or older than 18. I run into a couple of older computers that did not like LM 18.
It took me almost 15 minutes to download.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I also downloaded an LM 18.1 Cinnamon 32. I tried it the other day on an 2005 vintage single core computer and it ran. :mrgreen:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”