mint flavors by popularity

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
cantfind
Level 1
Level 1

mint flavors by popularity

Post by cantfind » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:25 am

Hi, I was trying to find statistics on popularity of DE's in mint.
Does such statistic exist?

I think the best measure would be how many downloaded each flavor of mint 17+.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: mint flavors by popularity

Post by phd21 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:27 am

Hi "cantfind",

DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

DistroWatch.com: Linux Mint
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:30 am

Somebody probably has that information. My guess would be that Cinnamon is the most popular, followed by MATE, with KDE and XFCE bring up the rear.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:50 am

cantfind wrote:Hi, I was trying to find statistics on popularity of DE's in mint.

Users by edition is one statistic.

cantfind
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cantfind » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:10 am

Community users by edition is the best so far, I guess it counts only registered community users?
I don't see why it would be a biased sample, so it might be good enough as a rough estimate.

Thanks!

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:12 am

Habitual wrote:Users by edition is one statistic.
Not a very good one... There are much more Linux Mint users. :)

Nevertheless, it may indeed give an insight into the relative proportions of the DE's.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:17 am

Pjotr wrote:
Not a very good one... There are much more Linux Mint users. :)

Nevertheless, it may indeed give an insight into the relative proportions of the DE's.
The point I was trying to make is that that info is not here, but there...
Somewhere not http://forums.linuxmint.com

Peace.

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:00 am

Well, we had this poll - but it was 3.5 years ago... :)

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:05 am

Lies, damn lies, and statistics! :D

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:53 pm

cantfind wrote:Hi, I was trying to find statistics on popularity of DE's in mint.

That'd be impossible. As there are multiple download locations, any one specific statistic would only be a (not precisely random) sampling.

Clem would have to add some sort of "phone home" routine to his distros that submitted which version/edition the user was using (possibly with some kind of unique identifier which was created somehow from a set of things so that each installed system would be counted - and, perhaps, with some kind of routine that allowed for "temporary installs by distro-hoppers / reviewers / et cetera" so that these installs wouldn't be counted). And I suspect that not every user would value the intrusion (even though it could be assumed to be harmless, lol). My guess is that he has ways to make... informed guesses about such statistics, but that's only a guess.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Hmfan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hmfan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:21 am

hmmm the telemetry data collection method... One of many things that Windows 10 gets a lot of flak for. probably not a good idea to even implement even a part of that.

Lets also consider that many people, myself included, tend to install more than one DE. We may start with MATE or Cinnamon, but we may end up with KDE, LXDE, LXQT, Fluxbox, XFCE, Enlightenment, or many others out there, all on the same system. So My system may have started as a Cinnamon but I run LXDE, would give the wrong kind of Data back because it would claim it's Cinnamon back to the main server. So at that point there would need to be an even larger amount of Data collected that says what programs are running, but at that point, you're no better off than Windows in terms of privacy.
Main systems:
Toshiba t135D: AMD Turion Neo x2 1.6 ghz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 3200 (mobility version), Windows 7, Linux Mint customized dual boot with external drive
Custom Desktop: Gigabyte F2A88XN, AMD A10 6800K, 8GB DDR3 RAM

The Cysko Kid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Cysko Kid » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:43 pm

I use Cinnamon, KDE and MATE all on the same system. I tend to use them in frequency in that order. Cinnamon, KDE, and MATE.

eddier
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eddier » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:08 am

Regardless of popularity Mint by far has the best installer of all Linux versions.

It even manages to navigate my Gigabyte Mobo and its IOMMU gotcha.

My preference in order Xfce,Mate,KDE and cinnamon,the latter falling behind because the Menu is huge and over the top.

eddie

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:11 am

The menu in Cinnamon is precisely as big as you want it to be.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:12 am

I was chatting with Clem a few months back and for some reason or another he mentioned
clem wrote:<clem> so the Mint audience is primarily Cinnamon/MATE
<clem> our Xfce release is a good example, it's of very good quality yet it doesn't gather that many users
Not very precise--we need a new poll!--but Clem did confirm that Cinnamon and MATE are the more popular DEs.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:38 am

Popularity statistics is a very poor way to choose a DE version, and installing multiple DEs is a bad idea propagated by beginners ... I don't know of any knowledgeable users who do it.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:47 am

there already some sort of "phone home" routine:
https://www.linuxmint.com/start/yourMINTversion/
does tell the Team what you are using -- until you change the start screen - that is.

which is then reflected:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:28 am

eddier wrote:Mint by far has the best installer of all Linux versions.
That's a pretty subjective observation. IDK about "best" - but Mandriva linux had an installer that was, at the very least, on par with Mint's... way back in 2001 (15 years ago!) when it was still called Mandrake.

Come to think of it... Yes, subjective or not, I think that one really was better. Bleeding edge (for the time) hardware detection, pleasant GUI, advanced options available yet still evidenced much effort in providing information(/education) along with a hand to hold for newbies, et cetera. It also presented an overview of what one could do with one's computer after installing that distro by suggesting packages based on what type of work the user wanted to do (sort of) and gave many folks their first look at the world of having many, many installable apps/files at their fingertips, IIRC.

2001. 15 years later, we still have people getting confused by the partitioning portion of Mint's installer. I assume that some people aren't still forced to manually uninstall the slideshow from it just to get through an installation, lofl... but there are still lots of improvements - that just haven't happened, yet.

Maybe 2016 will be the year. The year that Mint's installer really does become the best. Or at least better than one from another distro. That was current 15 years ago. In a distro that has since gone belly up, lol....

I'd hold my breath, but after the first 14 years of doing so, I started getting a little dizzy.

OtOH, it works. And I haven't pooched my current hard drive partitioning setup.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”