Virtual Terminal BLACK SCREEN & Other Issues 17.3 Cinnamon

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
NeoGeo64
Level 4
Level 4

Virtual Terminal BLACK SCREEN & Other Issues 17.3 Cinnamon

Post by NeoGeo64 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:02 pm

I have a few minor gripes with Linux Mint 17.3.

1) When I installed the AMD drivers I am no longer able to access the CTRL+ALT+Fn virtual terminals. I was able to access the terminals with Xorg drivers installed. When I do, it is just a black screen. Only the CTRL+ALT+F8 that returns me to the GUI works.

2) I am unable to see the Linux Mint logo upon rebooting. I can see it when I boot up, however when rebooting it is just a black screen. This is a problem no matter if I have AMD drivers for my card installed or the Xorg drivers.

I have been banging my head against my desk for the past days trying to change GRUB around and have all but given up. I don't know what to do. I've tried so many suggestions that b0rked my system that I think I am on my 3rd or 4th fresh install now. It never used to be this way. I don't use the geTTY virtual terminals much (since I use GNOME terminal in the GUI, but it is still nice to have the option).

I have been pouring over Google searches and searches on here with little avail. I am at a loss at this point. If some kind soul can hold my hand and lead me in the right direction and show me what lines to edit or what commands to input (I will be testing all of this in VM first) I will be forever grateful.

For extra info, here is how my GRUB file is configured:

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

Please. Thanks.

And despite all of this, I will never go back to Windows.

~ Neo
Last edited by NeoGeo64 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NeoGeo64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Virtual Terminal BLACK SCREEN w/ AMD drivers

Post by NeoGeo64 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:33 pm

I still have been unable to find a solution for this isse.

I get missing splash screens (upon reboot, not boot) and I am unable to access CTRL+ALT+Fn geTTY virtual terminals. I sometimes use them for work. I figured, why not, why not use the AMD drivers to get better performance out of my card.

This has to be something very simple and I pit al of my trust in the Linux Mint communiy. Could someone please take it upon themselves to teach me how to fix it? I will learn something along the way. Thanks in advance.

I have faith in this community.

NeoGeo64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NeoGeo64 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Still no fix. I'll tell you this, however. I was blindly able to log in and reboot the machine. I typed, very carefully, my username, password, sudo shutdown, password, hit enter and vioa! Reboot! The text is "there" but it is not being shown. And the saga to fix this mystifying issue continues.

NeoGeo64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NeoGeo64 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:24 pm

So no one else has experienced this? Is there at least a a way to change the virtual terminal text color? It appears that installing the AMD Catalyst drivers changed the virtual terminal font from white text on black to black text on black because as I previously stated I can type in my name and password and do a sudo shutdown, enter password, hit enter and the PC will reboot. So, the terminals are working but the text colors have changed. It is SO weird. Can someone at least show me how to change the font color (whilst keeping the font size as it was)? I also get a LM splash while booting but not when rebooting or shutting down. Before I installed the AMD drivers I would get the LM splash but when rebooting and not when booting up.

I've been through everything, changed text files, done all sorts of stuff. Nothing has worked. I've been on IRC, Google, poured over man files to no avail. SOMEONE please help me. I have been a die-hard Linux Mint user for well over a year and swear by it but now I am swearing at it. The only reason I am using the proprietary drivers this time around and not the free Xorg drivers is because on previous releases of Mint 17.X I would experience a huge memory leak that would cause a total system freeze-up. It is nice to have full functionality of my AMD 7500 series video card.

Also, one more thing the command inxi -Fxz no longer displays my GPU temperature information. WHY? This is regardless of if I have Xorg or AMD drivers.

One more thing, why does my Firefox default to English (UK) when I have the English (US) version of Mint installed? I constantly have to change it every time I restart Firefox.

WHAT HAPPENED IN 17.3? What did they change?

WHAT IS THE FIX? AGGGHHHH!!!! If these things can be fixed I will have a perfect system. Please, someone out there in Linux land, give me a hand. I am stumped. Very, very stumped.

~ Neo

tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Virtual Terminal BLACK SCREEN & Other Issues 17.3 Cinnam

Post by tolkien » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:20 pm

Sounds like a graphics driver problem, have you tried adding "nomodeset" as a kernel boot parameter?
Are you having the same problem on the live dvd?
Try writing to the tty device file manually:
echo hello | sudo tee /dev/tty1
Then switch over to tty1, do you see any text?
You can also try a different kernel from the update manager.

NeoGeo64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NeoGeo64 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Everything works fine on the live DVD. The NOMODESET option, all it does is get rid of the splash logo and give me a fast scrolling lines of text of whats going on in the background during bootup and shutdown.

Also, where would I write the echo command? In the GNOME terminal? In that case, it wouldn't work. The text is black like the background. I think the color of the text needs to be changed back to white or some other color. But that is just my 10+ years of Linux experience talking.

tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tolkien » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Did you check whether you get a tty with nomodeset?
Is it possible that you are using a different driver than in the live dvd?
Put this line in your ~/.bashrc file:
PS1="\e[0;36m \u \W \$ \e[m"
It will turn your prompt line cyan.

NeoGeo64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NeoGeo64 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Still did not work. For some reason, Xorg worked. I am at a loss. And I can't use Virtual Box because ALT+CTRL+Fn doesn't work. At all. Won't even go to it.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:32 am

OK, you say your card is an AMD 7500. If you have terminal access on boot, enter ...

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C video
... which will say which card you actually have and which driver is in use.

However, if that's the video adapter you have, according to ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Radeo ... _for_Unity

... the open source driver (radeon) will work but it still won't run Unity well. Which also means Cinnamon won't work very well either. They're both DEs that require 3D hardware acceleration just by themselves. I suspect that's at the root of your previous issues.

It also means that the card is too old for the proprietary AMD driver (fglrx). That won't work for any AMD cards older than the 5xxx series. And installing it on an older card will bork the video. I've had this happen myself, on ubuntu 12.04 lts. The fglrx driver just stopped working after an update. AMD's linux support for older cards isn't good.

SO you may want to revert to the radeon driver ... this looks good ...

https://mwop.net/blog/2014-11-03-utopic-and-amd.html

... though if the AMD card you have is actually that old, you'll get far better results/performance with a lighter desktop that doesn't need 3D hardware accel by itself. Try Mate or Xfce and turn of all compositing in settings.

Installing multiple desktops is not the best way to do this, though many noobs on forums recommend it. You'll just make your system less reliable. And Cinnamon s known to not play well with other DEs installed. I'd just backup and reinstall myself.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”