Mint 17.3 beta. Is it safe to install?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webwalker

Mint 17.3 beta. Is it safe to install?

Post by webwalker »

Did a search and couldn't find an answer to this. Since it's beta, when the final release comes out, will I have to do another re-install? Or will they do any necessary updates to make it so?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srq2625

Re: Mint 17.3 beta. Is it safe to install?

Post by srq2625 »

No longer beta.

Release can be downloaded from here --> http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

sqr2625 is correct--the final versions are out. You should use them instead.

Anyhow, for future reference: yes, the beta images are fully updated when the final versions are released.
So you can install 17.3 Desktop beta, and as long as you apply all levels 1-3 updates, you'll be running the final version. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

webwalker wrote:Did a search and couldn't find an answer to this. Since it's beta, when the final release comes out, will I have to do another re-install? Or will they do any necessary updates to make it so?

Thanks in advance
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down
What version of LinuxMint are you on now?
Output of

Code: Select all

inxi -S
please.
webwalker

Post by webwalker »

OK, I only see final versions in 'mate' and 'cinnamon'. I'm running 17.0 kde and want to upgrade to the final 17.3. kde. Downloading now.

Thanks! :D
webwalker

Post by webwalker »

17.0 Qiana is what I have. It started acting funny, so I want to upgrade.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

webwalker wrote:17.0 Qiana is what I have. It started acting funny, so I want to upgrade.
Acting funny, how?
webwalker

Post by webwalker »

Programs crashing, losing icons on the taskbar, lost firefox completely, had to reinstall it. I'm pretty sure I know what happened. I was trying to install a program the night before last and I caught it saying it was removing all these other programs. I hit cancel, but I think it was too late.

I'll just do a re-install. Not a big deal. I'm always installing and trying different distros. Not like I'm new at it. LOL!

Thanks
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

webwalker wrote:I'll just do a re-install. Not a big deal. I'm always installing and trying different distros. Not like I'm new at it. LOL!
I'll take your word for it.
Hopefully, these experiences have taught you to have a separate /home directory by now.

I can re-install in 15m, and be back to work in 20m. :wink:
webwalker

Post by webwalker »

Habitual wrote:
webwalker wrote:I'll just do a re-install. Not a big deal. I'm always installing and trying different distros. Not like I'm new at it. LOL!
I'll take your word for it.
Hopefully, these experiences have taught you to have a separate /home directory by now.

I can re-install in 15m, and be back to work in 20m. :wink:
Oh, I do! I have my OS on a 128 GB SSD, and /home on a 1TB drive. Believe me, I'm used to this. It's no fun if you can't tinker a little bit. :wink: I just wasn't sure if 'beta' would update to 'final' through the usual updates. I ran Revlinux for several years, and he had to give it up because of health reasons. Mint is so close to it, that I decided to start using it full time.

Thanks all! :)
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Reading this --> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&t=213260

All 17.X DE versions have a clear upgrade path to 17.3. With minor caveats, the result will be what one would get from a clean install of 17.3.

However, 17.3 KDE ISO has not yet been released.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Installing a beta version of your OS is not a particularly good first idea to fix current problems.

I have no problem with tinkering if you have a spare computer you don't actually need all the time. But I want at least one install that is stable.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Acewiza

Post by Acewiza »

For people who installed the XFCE beta, update manager should bring it up to current piece-by-piece.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”