Downloading updates from different pc

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Slojinn
Level 1
Level 1

Downloading updates from different pc

Post by Slojinn » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:06 pm

How, if possible, can i download the updates from a different, faster internet capable pc to an sd card, then install them to the pc that has slower internet speeds? (on satellite internet:very slow) Where can i do this and is there a guide on it?
Thanks. If this is not the right area for this question, i do apologize.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Downloading updates from different pc

Post by Flemur » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Yup!

I've done (almost) exactly that when one OS didn't have internet (need to install the internet software: apt/synaptic says "can't download xxxx.deb" - I'd save that URL, download the .deb file into an OS with functioning internet, then copy the .deb file over, as below).

ASSUMING that the OS's are the same version (e.g. both Mint 17.3), just copy (as root) the .deb files to:
/var/cache/apt/archives
then run apt or synaptic (and maybe 'software center' - dunno know about that cuz I never use it) on the slow-internet system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Slojinn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Slojinn » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:44 pm

My fault. I want to download from windows 7 and take to the computer with Linux Mint 17.3. I checked for updates the other day, and it came up and had new updates, told it to go ahead and download updates,
said it was gonna take 3+ hrs. So i had to stop that. Is this still do-able?
Thanks for response.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Theoretically yes, but rather cumbersome.

An easier solution: Install in the W7 machine VirtualBox and create a virtual machine with the same version of Mint as on your other pc. Now you can update the virtual machine and apply the suggestion of Flemur.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Cosmo's virtualbox suggestion is good, especially if you're going to do this every time you get updates. Otherwise you could disable the slow internet and get the URLs from the "can't download" error messages, download the .deb files in windows, then copy them over to linux. (Edit: yes, it's cumbersome) Then do the update.
told it to go ahead and download updates,
said it was gonna take 3+ hrs.
Let it run at night ... ? Do you have a download monthly limit?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

Slojinn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Slojinn » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Flemur, yes sir. Monthly plan and i could let it run at night, but kinda hard to get up at 2 am and let it run till 5 am(free download times). Monthly allocation is 15 gigs. :(

Ok, i will figure the virtual box out and do it that way.
Thanks for the advice and replies!!

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:34 am

Slojinn wrote:How, if possible, can i download the updates from a different, faster internet capable pc to an sd card, then install them to the pc that has slower internet speeds? (on satellite internet:very slow) Where can i do this and is there a guide on it?
Yes. If you have access to a computer with no download restrictions, install a full install of your Mint on a USB hard drive or flash drive (or SD card). Boot the flash drive on the fast computer and install all the updates and programs you want. Then simply plug the flash drive into the restricted speed PC and copy all of the .deb files from /var/cache/apt/archives on the flash drive to /var/cache/apt/archives on the hard drive.
Then you can install the programs in the normal ways - Update Manager, Synaptic, CLI, - even GDebi. Every one of those methods will first check /var/cache/apt/archives to see if the .deb files exist before downloading anything.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Flemur, yes sir. Monthly plan and i could let it run at night, but kinda hard to get up at 2 am and let it run till 5 am(free download times). Monthly allocation is 15 gigs.
That sounds like HughesNet (?). Except, IIRC, our "free" time was 2am to 8am.

You could leave your computer running and do the update at a given time with the "at" command:
http://www.brunolinux.com/02-The_Termin ... mmand.html
and run

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
at 2am.
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

bt101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bt101 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:50 pm

On the slow machine, you can generate a list of deb files to down load with the following command:

apt-get -qq --print-uris install packagename | awk -F\' '{ print $2}'
So for example, if you want to generate the list of deb files for the package 'devede' and you want to save that list to 'files.txt':

apt-get -qq --print-uris install devede | awk -F\' '{ print $2}' > files.txt
You can then take the file 'files.txt' to the fast computer and use it to download the deb files.
The best way to do that is to use the wget command (for Windows you'll need to get a Windows version of wget and there are free ones out there).
Tell wget to use 'files.txt' as a list of files to download:

wget -i files.txt
Then take your downloaded deb files and put them on /var/cache/apt/archives on the slow machine.

If you use the above commands a lot, you can put them in bash files to make it easier.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Somewhat off-topic, but are the two PC's you mention both in the same place? Meaning, are they both in the same house/apt, or is it that one is an office machine, the other is home? (or something like that)

The reason I ask is that if the machines are in reasonable proximity to each other, you could very easily tap into that faster internet connection - - wired or wirelessly - - for a pretty small investment. Obviously if they're not nearby it wouldn't work... but figured it was worth asking?

Return to “Non-technical Questions”