How can I "DISCONNECT" from a thread ?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

How can I "DISCONNECT" from a thread ?

Post by tovian » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:01 pm

If I have started this thread in the wrong forum I apologize in advance, and hope a mod will move it to the correct place.

A few months ago I posted in the "What made you switch to Linux Mint?" thread. Now, this thread shows up at or near the top of the list every time I click the "Your Posts" link. Because someone is always posting in that thread, it is always "current" (it never ages away).

I will never post in that thread again (it's a one-time sort of topic). How can I get it out of the list that's returned when I check for my posts ? If I go back and delete whatever I posted in that thread will that remove the thread from my hit-list ? Will I have to join the site with another identity ?

Thank you in advance.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"
"We're just the guys to do it.”

Animal House

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How can I "DISCONNECT" from a thread ?

Post by daveinuk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm fairly sure it's like so . . . . . . . . go to your posts, scroll down to the bottom, click the ' spanner ' and unsubscribe (take the tick out of the box) .
I know this is new forum software and all that but the basics are the same so I think that'll work, and if not I'm sure someone more familiar with it will correct me :wink:
Screens.png

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:40 pm

I'm not subscribed to any of my topics and the behavior is the same.
Not much I can do about it and it is beyond my control, therefore, sucks to be me, I guess.

peteetongman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peteetongman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Have you gone into your User Control Panel-->Board Prefs and unchecked the appropriate boxes?

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:15 pm

I think you may just have to ignore that thread being there unless you can delete it

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:00 am

Yeah, I can't un-subscribe because I never subscribed to begin with. All of my CPL settings are OK, there's nothing that can accomplish what I'm looking for. Since my handle is logged in that forum any DB search is going to find it I suppose.

I will try finding my posts and see if I can delete them. If that doesn't work I'll live with it or re-join with a new handle.

Thanks for the replies.

It's kind of a shame that you can't shake off a thread that's stuck to you like DS on the bottom of your shoe. :(

BTW... @ peteetongman ---- NorthWest metro Atlanta here. Are we neighbors?
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"

Animal House

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:50 pm

I second the emotion. In the "Your posts" link I'm still getting the "advice to newbies" thread years after offering one modest post to the topic that I'd probably never find again and that relates to an old version of Mint. I'd like to be able to delete.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M18.3 XFCE (Dell 1520) 64 bit. Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop) 64 bit. Persistent live USB pretesting M19.2 Cinnamon and XFCE.

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian » Sat May 28, 2016 10:21 am

Along with the original topic there is another troubling feature...

In order to cut down on clutter I opened my control panel and set my Board preferences / Display options to show posts and topics from only the last month. After doing this I still see topics I posted in before the dawn of mankind when I view "My Posts", but if I click on one where I posted more than a month ago I cannot see any posts earlier than one month back. The only way to actually view what I posted is to go back to the control panel and reset my display option to view all posts - and then when I'm done looking at what I posted way back then - go back and again reset the display options to only display one month's activity.

This is a bit like finding the absolute most stupid thing the board software can do - then multiplying that by some hefty number. I do not think this is the fault of the site owners - I suspect it's just one of the "you can't have it both ways" features of phpBB. (Occasionally computer programmers forget that the number one greatest attribute of computer software should be that it can be customized to do what WE need it to do.

Wouldn't you think that if you set the display options to not display topics and posts older than one month (or whatever period is preferred) that the same logic should be used when deciding what topics should be displayed when viewing "My Posts"? (Hello,,,,,,Anybody home?)

Animal House

Return to “Non-technical Questions”