Linux Mint forum timezone settings

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Zill
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint forum timezone settings

Post by Zill » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:00 am

British summer time (DST) started today and so our timezone (Western European Time, Greenwich Mean Time) went from UTC to UTC +1.

While the Debian forums have an option for the user to select when DST is in effect, this option is not present with Linux Mint forums. It seems there is a "suggestion" for the user to select UTC +1 but this then identifies the timezone as Africa/Algiers, rather than UTC.

As, presumably, both Debian and Linux Mint forums use the same phpBB software, I suggest the Linux Mint forums should be configured in a similar way to the Debian forums so that the UK timezone can always remain on UTC but with a clear indicator whether or not DST is in effect.
Debian Forums
Debian Forums
Mint Forums 1
Mint Forums 1
Mint Forums 2
Mint Forums 2

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux Mint forum timezone settings

Post by xenopeek » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:12 am

Debian forums use an older version of phpBB which looks indeed to work differently than our version. I've looked in our version and there is no toggle for users to have a field to enable/disable summer time. You can just use the suggestion button to set the timezone and then yourself pick the city in that timezone that best matches your situation from the list.

Zill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zill » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:53 pm

xenopeek: Thanks for that. As I had a similar problem with SolydXK forums, I had posted a similar query there. The reply from grizzler advises:
Curious. For me the switch to DST seems to have been automatic. My settings are still Europe/Amsterdam but with UTC+2.

What happens if you select Europe/London?
It therefore seems that phpBB no longer has the option for directly setting or showing the status of DST. Following your advice, I now have set my timezone as UTC +1 and Europe/London. Hopefully, this will now automatically follow DST when it stops and starts again. ;-)
Linux Mint forum
Linux Mint forum

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:36 pm

xenopeek, is there probably this modification installed? Only a shot in the dark: Perhaps this makes the difference?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:56 am

No. Our phpBB version uses extensions, not mods. We have no extensions installed as of yet.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”