Mint Box 2 troubles

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
ravestaves
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Box 2 troubles

Post by ravestaves » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:31 am

After testing Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon a couple of months on my laptop, having just minor troubles, I decided to buy the Mintbox 2. My plan: putting my Windows 10 computer offline and do all internet stuff with LinuxMint.
I hoped, that there are hardly troubles anymore since LinuxMint 2 is preinstalled. Actually I plan to recommend the MintBox to (older) relatives and colleageus, because I know a lot of people, who just wanna have simple internet access, writing a letter sometimes, watching videos and are not interested in any computerstuff at all.

But now I have more trouble with the Mintbox2 than with my old ALDI-Laptop, which I bought in a German grocery store!
During the first update process I was asked where I wanna install the GRUB (see my question in "installation and boot")
After the first update these errors occured:
Screenshot 1a.jpg
Then I'm not able to play .mp3 and .mov files. Linux tries to install some packages, but this appears:
Screenshot 2.jpg
This way I cannot recommend the Mintbox 2, which is very sad! Because I definitely see a lot of people, who are VERY interested in a operating system like LinuxMint. But it should work, like it did on my laptop!

(so I hope, that some help comes from CompuLab, I wrote a mail......)

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint Box 2 troubles

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:07 am

You say it has Mint 2 preinstalled, which is unlikely since that'd be very old, and it's also unlikely IMO that it has LMDE 2 installed. But it may have an older version like 16 that isn't supported anymore. That could be the problem.

ravestaves
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Box 2 troubles

Post by ravestaves » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:30 am

my mistake. Linuxmint 17.1 was preinstalled.
However. After a new installation via USB-Boot-stick it worked.

But that is not a solution for my mother or other people, who are looking for an easy alternative to Windows 10.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”