Minetest

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
geminiguy
Level 1
Level 1

Minetest

Post by geminiguy » Tue May 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey Clem,

Any chance you guys can update the Minetest version in the repo?
http://www.minetest.net/

Last time I checked the avail version was old. Not sure if this has been done already.
But if it has not, and you could, that would be awesome

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Minetest

Post by xenopeek » Tue May 31, 2016 4:20 pm

The minetest package is maintained by Ubuntu MOTU team (community maintainers) and available on Linux Mint from the Ubuntu package base it uses. Generally you only get new feature versions of your installed software when you move to a new major Linux Mint version (e.g., Linux Mint 18 will have minetest 0.4.13). In between major Linux Mint versions you generally only get security updates and new feature versions of Cinnamon/MATE/KDE/Xfce and selected other packages (like the software developed by Linux Mint and software like LibreOffice).

If you want a newer version of minetest you can use the official PPA (personal package archive) repository from the minetest developers. They have one for stable releases https://launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+ar ... ter=trusty and one for daily builds (bleeding edge) https://launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+ar ... ter=trusty.

Assuming you just want the latest stable release, open Software Sources program from your menu and click on PPA in the left sidebar. Add the PPA ppa:minetestdevs/stable there and then click on the refresh button in the top right of the window. You can now open Software Manager from your menu and will find the newer version of minetest. Or if you had already installed it, you'll find an upgrade available in Update Manager (or you may first also have to click refresh in Update Manager window).

geminiguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geminiguy » Tue May 31, 2016 4:30 pm

hehe..., thank you very much for the help. But I already have all of that. I was basically trying to find out if the version in the repo could be updated, because it often comes up as a question by new users. Or they post issues because they are using an old build without knowing it.
I had a feeling it was one of the Ubuntu packages, but was not 100% sure.
The latest version is 0.4.14

Maybe I'll try kickin' the buntu team :P

Thank you again

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue May 31, 2016 4:42 pm

The same as goes for Linux Mint goes for Ubuntu; in between Ubuntu releases you generally only get security updates. You do not get new feature releases. If you always want the latest versions of your software a "point release" based distribution like Linux Mint/Ubuntu/Debian isn't the place—those focus on stability above all else. You'd have to look at a "rolling release" based distribution—those prioritize getting you the latest stable versions as released by upstream projects.

Most users just use their software, oblivious to version numbers :wink: For those that care, you can generally find a PPA from the developers with newer software.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:22 pm

geminiguy wrote:... Maybe I'll try kickin' the buntu team :P

Thank you again
Good luck ... developers rarely seem to read these sort of forums ... or try a stable ppa version if you really want it that much, and watch the dependencies with those sources ...

Return to “Non-technical Questions”