Mint 18 KDE

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alex_L
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 18 KDE

Post by Alex_L »

Hi

When does Mint 18 KDE Edition be available for testing?

Al
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Mint 18 KDE

Post by richyrich »

I looked at the Community website, under Testing > ISO Images, and both KDE and Xfce images are not being tested yet . .
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

As i understand it, the KDE and XFCE teams pick up from Cinnamon and Mate leave off and start compiling and testing after the releases of Cinnamon and Mate. This normally takes a minimum of four weeks post final release of the 'flagship' editions.

We gotta wait,
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Although the wait might be agonizing now it's better that the editions are focussed on in turn in the long run, so I'm happy to wait a bit longer :) I'm sure it will be worth it.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

BG405 wrote:Although the wait might be agonizing now it's better that the editions are focussed on in turn in the long run, so I'm happy to wait a bit longer :) I'm sure it will be worth it.
Agreed! Having hit various disasters in trying other distros I appreciate the Mint Philosophy of waiting, taking time and getting it right.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
philthane

Post by philthane »

I just signed up to ask the same, then found your post. For what it's worth I installed Mint 18 Cinnamon in VirtualBox, then the Kubuntu desktop. Seems to work OK but a bit of a hassle and I'm worried it might break something. At the moment I have a problem because Mint17 won't run a recent ownCloud client and the old client won't connect to my upgraded server.

Anyone got any idea how long after the Maté and Cinnamon releases KDE usually emerges?

I ran Kubuntu for years but got fed up with bugs, especially in Kontact, which is my chief reason for preferring KDE. Mint 17 has been much better.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Mint 18 KDE and xfce are both supposed to be dropping this month.

With that said, I am happy to let Clem take his time if he is going to give us a (mostly) bug-free OS, even if he has to push the deadline a bit.

In fact, it looks like the xfce beta is up... so it may not be very long now.

Keep an eye for the iso downloads here.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I may give 18 KDE a try but I have a feeling I'm going to stick with my trusty 17.3 KDE :wink:
seasoned_geek

Post by seasoned_geek »

Has there been an update on this?

Yes, I saw a post about the disasterous change from blue to green color scheme. (KDE is _always_ blue.) What I haven't seen is any drop date for release ISO. Yes, I have used other desktops, but, the previous Mint KDE desktops were well done. Tried KaOS which claims to be pure KDE with that nasty word processor. Just can't deal with it.
seasoned_geek

Post by seasoned_geek »

Well, I should follow up on this since 18 KDE has been out a while now.

The lock screen has a fatal bug, at least on my HP Laptop. After your screen saver to come up and you are required to log in, you are done. Both keyboard and mouse are inoperable.

The attempted change to green looks rather ugly too. Especially since so much else is blue.

Folder icon for Documents directory is invisible.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”