Donations

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Donations

Post by Pierre »

some Folks don't like using Paypal - - which is the primary means of contributing to the LinuxMint Project.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
djungk

Post by djungk »

Just to add one more vote in case anyone from the Mint project reads this. I also tried to donate and gave up when I couldn't do it without using paypal. If they'd post a physical address, I'd send a paper check.
Don
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I have been wanting to donate since first using and loving mint back in Oct.2016 but they insist on only using Pay Pal as a donation method...i personally think Pay Pal just might have financial issues of their own since many people i know here in my town who have used them for years and considered "preferred customers" are treated like doggy doo with funds being with-held from them and what not...a consumer protection site list goes on and on...i will never use anything but my own bank account to do for donations etc. after reading these other complaints about Pay Pal services. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/paypal_02.html DAMIEN
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

The Linux Mint project needs to declare and pay taxes on all donations. If they accept all kind of donations, they need to spend hours to prepare the report for the tax department, which is a huge pain and waste of time. By using only paypal, the report is generated automatically and painlessly.

Therefore the project decided to use only paypal as a donation system.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Indeed, one of the primary reasons Linux Mint uses PayPal is that it automates the majority of administration needed to file taxes. Tax law gets complex when taking income from multiple countries. We'd rather Clem spends his time on development :wink: Linux Mint hasn't had issues with PayPal that I'm aware of and for what it offers its fees are competitive.

Requests to donate by check or direct bank transfer, or use a payment processor other than PayPal, come up from time to time. Most of Linux Mint's donors and sponsors do not have a problem with PayPal. For those that do, it would be great to offer them more alternatives. It's hard to say no to people that want to support the Linux Mint developers. As such that has been looked at before several times and I generally pass on such requests to Clem so, along with other sources of such requests, he can keep track of how many users don't want to donate using PayPal or the alternatives offered. My understanding is that other alternatives were more expensive and/or would've required much more time to handle and do administration for.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Or in short: courage to the gap.
brainout

Post by brainout »

I have no trouble with PayPal, but don't want my real name being published. No problem with Mint knowing my real name, but yes a problem with it being published on the web. So I had to stop donating. Some of us really need anonymity.
xenopeek wrote:Indeed, one of the primary reasons Linux Mint uses PayPal is that it automates the majority of administration needed to file taxes. Tax law gets complex when taking income from multiple countries. We'd rather Clem spends his time on development :wink: Linux Mint hasn't had issues with PayPal that I'm aware of and for what it offers its fees are competitive.

Requests to donate by check or direct bank transfer, or use a payment processor other than PayPal, come up from time to time. Most of Linux Mint's donors and sponsors do not have a problem with PayPal. For those that do, it would be great to offer them more alternatives. It's hard to say no to people that want to support the Linux Mint developers. As such that has been looked at before several times and I generally pass on such requests to Clem so, along with other sources of such requests, he can keep track of how many users don't want to donate using PayPal or the alternatives offered. My understanding is that other alternatives were more expensive and/or would've required much more time to handle and do administration for.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

brainout wrote:I have no trouble with PayPal, but don't want my real name being published. No problem with Mint knowing my real name, but yes a problem with it being published on the web. So I had to stop donating. Some of us really need anonymity.
Donors receive an email with a link to a personal page where they can configure what name (and optional link) to display with their donation. By default it will be your first name + the first letter of your last name. You can change it into anything you want.
brainout

Post by brainout »

Okay, that's news. The last time I had to do it here on the site, and next I knew my name showed up. Thank you!
xenopeek wrote:
brainout wrote:I have no trouble with PayPal, but don't want my real name being published. No problem with Mint knowing my real name, but yes a problem with it being published on the web. So I had to stop donating. Some of us really need anonymity.
Donors receive an email with a link to a personal page where they can configure what name (and optional link) to display with their donation. By default it will be your first name + the first letter of your last name. You can change it into anything you want.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”