Donations

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
baloney

Donations

Post by baloney »

Dear Linux Mint Team

I love all of your distros - my absolute favorite however is Mint MATE. I want to make a donation but the correspondig page only allows payments via paypal.
I can not use paypal without creating a paypal account - and this is something I do not want to do.

Is there any other way I can donate? i.e. by providing my credit card number on a secure page?

Thank you so much and keep up your excellet work!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Donations

Post by eatenimpinia »

I haven't donated (yet), but it looks like there's a button below the "Pay with my Paypal account" box for paying with a credit card.
Currently running on Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

eatenimpinia wrote:
I haven't donated (yet), but it looks like there's a button below the "Pay with my Paypal account" box for paying with a credit card.
It still looks like you have to create a PayPal account. I too would like to donate, but a snowball "you know where" has a better chance than me creating a PayPal account. Can't it be set up so that one can pay through PayPal without setting up an account? I don't have a problem doing it that way. It can be done that way for Pale Moon, which is based in Sweden.
Untitled.jpg
eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia »

Interesting. Here's what my Donate screen looks like after I click on the "Pay with a Debit or Credit Card" area:

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I am getting the same results as Shultz.
@eatenimpinia
Please post that url
@baloney
Why not Paypal though--what are your concerns
Last edited by all41 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
baloney

Post by baloney »

One can use paypal 3 times without creating an account. Once you have used it 3 times you HAVE to create a paypal account. There is no way around it I am afraid. I have already used it 3 times and do not wish to have my personal data and bank details stored in an account on a paypal server. :(
eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia »

all41 wrote:I am getting the same results as Shultz.baloney
@eatenimpinia
Please post that url
Curiouser and curiouser. I went to grab that url and noticed it was a Paypal url. So, it looks like it's still using Paypal, but it's not their account-using side. Instead of posting the url, here's how I got there:

https://linuxmint.com/ -> Donate button -> Make a Donation in US Dollars button -> Pay with a Debit or Credit Card link

According to:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/account-optional

It looks like it's an optional Paypal feature (to pay without setting up a Paypal account). I don't see anything about a limitation on the number of times we can use it. Are you US based? Could it be a dollar vs euro difference? I saw one site that said to clear your cookies or browser history if it doesn't work. But, I don't know if you want to try that based on my hearsay.
baloney

Post by baloney »

Thanks for your feedback. I live in Germany and as soon as I enter my name and account details I get transferred to a page where they ask me to create a paypal account. I was able to make payments without a paypal account a couple of times before but now I no longer can. This option is no longer offered to me.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Well I haven't made any donation yet (but was planning on giving one soon) however I'm not getting an option to pay without creating a PP account.

I really don't want to pay $33 for a t-shirt from the store, especially since Mint will only get $5 of it. I don't have a need for anything else in the store.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Okay, this is weird. When I try it using Firefox I'm seeing what eatenimpinia is.

ADDED:
It keeps getting weirder. When I try it on my son's Windows computer and my wife's Windows computer (both with Pale Moon) I'm also seeing what eatenimpinia is. So it must be a problem specific to the Linux version of Pale Moon I suppose? all41, are you also using Pale Moon?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I am getting the same urls, pages, and options using both Palemoon and Firefox with and without firejail.
Paying with credit/debit through Paypal without opening a Paypal account is referred to as "Paypal Account Optional"
and is described here:
https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/merch ... ax-outside
This has a 10 use limit before you are required to open an account.

Of coarse Paypal will retain records of the transaction stored on their servers in order to "enable you to use PayPal Account Optional for further one-off transactions"--which includes your credit/debit card number, expiration date, etc.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
polol

Post by polol »

I donated "somehow" in the past, but i want to use Ideal, or better, the possibility to make a monthly donation.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

You can become a sponsor if you want to give money every month.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hmmm...
This is what I get through Chrome in Windows:
Donate 1.JPG
Then after clicking Make a Donation in US Dollars:
Donate 2.JPG
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

On my system, here in the USA, the only option that I see is PAYPAL. I love PAYPAL and have used them for everything for many, many years. I have bought several expensive cars using my PAYPAL card and I have sold a couple of expensive cars as well. I love PAYPAL.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

eatenimpinia wrote:I haven't donated (yet), but it looks like there's a button below the "Pay with my Paypal account" box for paying with a credit card.

I donate regulalrly. You will see my real name on the list almost continuously because I make regular donations.

I live in the United States and I work for Wal Mart for minimum wage, but I think that it is very important to donate to all of the various Free Software organizations.
brainout

Post by brainout »

Hi, Rocky! Didn't know you were here. That's my question: I don't want my name showing up in the list, so I stopped donating.
- Is there a way to stop them from publishing the NAMES of those who donate?

I put a related thread in my own forum.
Rocky Bennett wrote:
eatenimpinia wrote:I haven't donated (yet), but it looks like there's a button below the "Pay with my Paypal account" box for paying with a credit card.

I donate regulalrly. You will see my real name on the list almost continuously because I make regular donations.

I live in the United States and I work for Wal Mart for minimum wage, but I think that it is very important to donate to all of the various Free Software organizations.
Last edited by brainout on Fri May 05, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yes - - there is a way,
in as much as you will be contacted by the Admin Team,
and supplied with an link, where you can edit your details .. ..

ie: it's that detail, that is then mentioned in the Monthly Stats.

but, you primarily have to use P/P & that is an issue for some folks.
:?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

brainout, It is definitely good to see you active again. I saw your post over at the thread I started at Bleeping Computer about the problems with Linux, so I knew that you are "back in action." I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but I will look into it and PM with the answer.

Rocky
brainout

Post by brainout »

Sorry, I don't know what the reddened text below means...
Pierre wrote:yes - - there is a way,
in as much as you will be contacted by the Admin Team,
and supplied with an link, where you can edit your details .. ..

ie: it's that detail, that is then mentioned in the Monthly Stats.

but, you primarily have to use P/P & that is an issue for some folks.
:?

Return to “Non-technical Questions”