How torrent network works?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BryanWalters

How torrent network works?

Post by BryanWalters »

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in knowing how the Torrentz network work?

I request you all to share your knowledge.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How torrent network works?

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
eddier

Post by eddier »

Previous poster answered for me. Bit more polite than saying "Try Googgle",More and better answers than I could give. Its basically a sharing system,everyone who has a copy of whatever sends chunks to you in an orderly fashion until you have your copy,bits from your copy are also shared in the torrent network. Its polite to allow a reasonable amount of "shareback" before closing down your end.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

it's a file share system where the middle is YOU ... in this image you are getting small pieces of the same file from all those around you (you can see some are 100% and some are less). when your circle in the middle is full your file is fully downloaded at which point you are now sharing this file with others that may want it and uploading it to them along with all the other around you

this is just a basic info. you need a torrent client like deluge/qbittorrent/transmission which is able to open these .torrent files (.torrent files are the information your client needs in order to connect you to the others and the others to you)

for more info i always use youtube, cause it's not something you understand from one post.

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The point of torrents is that you download your file in small chunks (packets) from hundreds of other torrent users.
Those torrent users are getting their files the same way--it's like relay stations--you get packets, and then you become a relay station for others seeking that packet--and you are expected to return the favour by allowing others to get the packets from you.
Since the packets are small they do not have a significant impact on your internet bandwidth.

edit: I have been advised that these are actually groups of packets

When your download is complete you become a seeder--offering all packets to other seekers.
This is a magnanimous position--you are offering your completed download to others--just as you got it from others----
do this.

You can understand the strategy and advantages when 1000's participate
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
BryanWalters

Post by BryanWalters »

trytip wrote:it's a file share system where the middle is YOU ... in this image you are getting small pieces of the same file from all those around you (you can see some are 100% and some are less). when your circle in the middle is full your file is fully downloaded at which point you are now sharing this file with others that may want it and uploading it to them along with all the other around you

this is just a basic info. you need a torrent client like deluge/qbittorrent/transmission which is able to open these .torrent files (.torrent files are the information your client needs in order to connect you to the others and the others to you)

for more info i always use youtube, cause it's not something you understand from one post.

Thanks trytip for sharing detailed information with appropriate image.
fidofido

Post by fidofido »

Hola a todos , tengo instalado el qbittorrent, el cual funciona excelentemente, pero cuando quiero abrir la carpeta de destino, el vlc abre la carpeta y su contenido, solo cuando vlc no esta instalado, lo abre el administador de archivo.. a que se debe el comportamiento del vlc o del qbittorrent
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

After years, I still find P2P confusing.

But the basic idea is that there are two different methods.

The .torrent files method is where there is a central index pointing to 'seeders' and other downloaders - sitting on a particular server.

The .magnet files method is a bit more obscure - the central servers have little if any information other than a simple index matched to hashed (encoded) IDs. These are used by P2P software to locate the users in a 'swarm'. There is DHT which apparently can bypass servers altogether and simply link users to users directly. In other words, if you have the magnet files you do not actually need any server sites.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Not an answer but another question about torrents:
Why, when I have downloaded a file for 100% and I start uploading to others, my upload speed is so low? I have a 100/100Mb fiberglass network connection and I can upload much more than what is taken from me. Yes, I have set the upload speed to unlimited in the torrent client.
millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

Download speeds will always be faster than uploads since that is the way most ISPs are configured, as well as the fact that downloads are initiated by the user and automatically establish the connection.

Uploads require a distant system to establish a connection to a *listening port*. As usually this is not a good idea, most routers with firewalls prevent this from happening, and holes must be opened in the hardware NAT firewalls. This is called *Port Forwarding*.

Some uploading can occur without manually configuring the router, and I am not exactly sure how that occurs. Probably from connections to ports already downloading, or otherwise active.

When using P2P it is always best to use a VPN. In that case the port configurations will depend on the servers used.
It is also *IMPORTANT* to always disable IPV6, as your connections can bypass the TUN connection the VPN uses - and expose your system IP.

On Linux I would recommend Vuze since it can be set to bind to the TUN and not transmit any data when the VPN connection is lost. I would also recommend VPN services that allow you to use OpenVPN which has a tendency to freeze the connection should the server disconnect (use openvpn-gui to simplify the process). Consider this a feature and not a bug.

Vuze is a Java monster, but it is the most configurable - and reliable. You can also spoof the software ID with it using mods, since some torrent sites dont like Vuze too much since it can be set to also spoof upload ratios to torrent servers.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

DeMus wrote:Not an answer but another question about torrents:
Why, when I have downloaded a file for 100% and I start uploading to others, my upload speed is so low? I have a 100/100Mb fiberglass network connection and I can upload much more than what is taken from me. Yes, I have set the upload speed to unlimited in the torrent client.
some ISP block torrent traffic or make it limited. you also need to know how to OPEN a port for incoming and outgoing traffic. if you use a firewall you also need to know how to add the torrent port to your firewall.

also some torrents don't need you to seed because of the number of peers involved are many. but seeding a torrent don't mean you seed it for a ratio. seeding a torrent truly means you leave it in your client for about a year. it's nice to give back in the amount of gigabytes but it's nicer to have longevity.

to test for a port go here https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and click proceed

Return to “Open Chat”