Install option - Codecs without flash

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Install option - Codecs without flash

Post by Petermint »

Flash is going away. Codecs are not. Separating the flash install option from the codecs option would let us install a useful system without flash.

From what I can see with LM18, if I skip the flash/codec install option then use the codec install option under Sound & Video, I get the codecs without flash. I have not tested it because I had to install flash for one site that is in the process of replacing flash with something modern. I will not need flash for Linux Mint 19. Separating out the flash install will be good either way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Install option - Codecs without flash

Post by jimallyn »

Petermint wrote:Flash is going away.
Apparently Adobe isn't entirely convinced of that, since they just released Flash 23 Beta for Linux.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

even though LM19 a way off yet, so continue to use LM18,
and you can still install those codecs, but just remove Flash,
or better still, block Flash itself, like is currently done by Firefox.

or chrome, which doesn't require Flash.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Until LM 17.x some software like flash or vlc had been installed by default, in LM 18 all those multimedia related software has been been moved to the optional multimedia-meta-package. There are countless combinations thinkable, what might be useful for one user, but not for the next.

Either remove all the not wanted software after installing the multimedia software meta package (as Pierre said) or install after installing the system the software, which you actually want to have.

Personally I agree with you, that flash should be avoided, but thousands of other users disagree. There is also some other software - not multimedia related - which I do not want. I remove it and than I get what I want (just as I add software, which is not pre-installed).
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Yes, Flash is going away. But not for a while. There are still lots of web videos that use it, so it's perfectly appropriate to inslude it in the codec package.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Lets boycott the sites using Flash. Outside of the one site I use that is currently replacing flash, the other uses I see are advertising and advertisers use flash to install the flash cookies that break the domain privacy boundary. I think that earns flash a special place in the list of things to not install.

Most of the other things I delete are applications that do nothing if not activated. I delete them to reduce the clutter in the menu. None of them actively attack your privacy.

I tried to run LM 18 with no codecs installed and only install a codec when a popup message mentions a codec. For some reason, selecting install on the popup did not install the codec. Next time I will just install the ??codecs-bad?? package.

Chrome is not an alternative for me because of problems in Chrome. Chromium might become an alternative one day. I test Chromium each year. Midori was looking like a good light weight alternative but does not fix the flash problem. Midori with a few updates and a flash fix would be excellent.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Petermint wrote:Lets boycott the sites using Flash. ...
Ooh, I'll bet Adobe is scared now ...
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Youtoob removed Flash!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”