MATE... why the caps?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

MATE... why the caps?

Post by Moem »

Does anyone know why Mate is so often spelled MATE? After all, it's the name of a herb, not an acronym like KDE, as far as I know. And we don't spell CINNAMON. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: MATE... why the caps?

Post by Lucap »

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3052

Clem uses all uppercase.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

So he does, but the question is why. Was that unclear?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Maybe it would have been better if i posted " I blame Clem for starting the trend " :wink:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I can't tell you why, but actually Clem didn't start this trend. The MATE developers use all-caps:
http://www.mate-desktop.com/

So...
I blame the upstream devs. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I think it goes back to the beginning.
See viewtopic.php?f=206&t=86481
MATE Desktop Environment, a non-intuitive and unattractive desktop for users, using traditional computing desktop metaphor. Also known as the GNOME2 fork.
He deserves two votes for that.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

My guess is: it's a fork of GNOME 2, which is all caps. So perhaps the caps have been "inherited", in order to hint at the GNOME it has been forked from...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Wikipedia wrote:The name was originally all capital letters to follow the nomenclature of other Free Software desktop environments like KDE and LXDE.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Thank you, Cosmo, you've come through for me again. :D
I should have looked on Wikipedia myself. I feel a bit silly that I didn't think of that.

Nevertheless, I'll keep writing 'Mate'. I don't think the reason is very compelling, and 'MATE' just feels like you're shouting.

Yerba mate is a pretty interesting herb by the way. I've had it in hot 'tea' form and also in the cold soft drink variant (many people are familiar with Club Mate, but there are many other brands/flavours, I've tried at least ten or so.) It wakes you up, but doesn't make you nervous and doesn't make your hands shake. It just seems to keep you sharp/alert.

pdhunter1987

Post by pdhunter1987 »

Hi MOEM!

Not sure why, maybe MATE is actually Australian and it isn't "may Tay" like everyone says, but Mate like, "how ya going MATE".

Maybe the author wanted to stress that "yelling" MATE will get people's attention.

My 50c...
Tech Freak

Post by Tech Freak »

pdhunter1987 wrote:Hi MOEM!

Not sure why, maybe MATE is actually Australian and it isn't "may Tay" like everyone says, but Mate like, "how ya going MATE".

Maybe the author wanted to stress that "yelling" MATE will get people's attention.

My 50c...
Nope, Cosmo's reply suits the question of the TS. Has got nothing to do with the Australian mate or shouting/yelling. IF it is about shouting/yelling, then KDE, GNOME, LXDE, etc is also shouting/yelling or trying to get attention.

MATE (acc. the MATE website):
The name “MATE”, pronounced Ma-Tay, comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to make infusions and a beverage called mate.
Oh yes.. it is pronounced Ma-Tay.. and yes, has got nothing to do with Aussies.
pdhunter1987

Post by pdhunter1987 »

Tech Freak wrote:
pdhunter1987 wrote:Hi MOEM!

My 50c...
Nope, Cosmo's reply suits the question of the TS. Has got nothing to do with the Australian mate or shouting/yelling. IF it is about shouting/yelling, then KDE, GNOME, LXDE, etc is also shouting/yelling or trying to get attention.

MATE (acc. the MATE website):
The name “MATE”, pronounced Ma-Tay, comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to make infusions and a beverage called mate.
Oh yes.. it is pronounced Ma-Tay.. and yes, has got nothing to do with Aussies.
Haha! Sorry Tech Freak! I must of forgot to use my "sarcastic" font.

Depends what part of the planet you live is how you pronounce things. (See: Australian: Tomatoes, American: ToMATEoes)

Ma-Tay, Mah Tay, matteh, Mate.
Like GNOME, Guhnome, Gnomey.

Oh and another thing, if it really is "MATE" why isn't the mate website URL "www.MATE-desktop.com" ??

Quite funny watching YouTube videos with these different pronunciations!
But yes, you are quite right with your answer.
True Story.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

In my opinion, "Maté" should be the correct spelling as that is how we are meant to pronounce it. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I suppose the pronunciation is determined regionally
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Doug B
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Doug B »

BG405 wrote:In my opinion, "Maté" should be the correct spelling as that is how we are meant to pronounce it. :)
Yes, IF there is an accent mark over the 'e' ; but it's usually just MATE or Mate.
Kilwillie

Post by Kilwillie »

Xfce's developers changed its capitalization once they determined it didn't stand for anything.

From Wikipedia:
Olivier Fourdan started the project in 1996 as a Linux version of the Common Desktop Environment (CDE),[6][7] a Unix desktop environment that was initially proprietary and later released as free software.[8] However, after a dozen years of development and several major versions, Xfce has diverged from CDE and stands on its own. The name "Xfce" originally stood for "XForms Common Environment", but since that time Xfce has been rewritten twice and no longer uses the XForms toolkit. The name survived, but it is no longer capitalized as "XFCE", but rather as "Xfce". The developers' current stance is that the initialism no longer stands for anything specific. It has been nicknamed "Cholesterol Free Desktop Environment".[citation needed] Another possibility X Freakin' Cool Environment is suggested at Xfce Wiki. As a result, Xfce is currently an acronym that doesn't stand for anything.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”