Email checker

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zcmint

Email checker

Post by zcmint »

Way back in the day, there was a KDE 3 application called Korn. It was basically the Linux version of a Windows program called "Mailwasher". You could check the headers and body of an email while it was still on the server and delete it (them) before downloading the remaining mail. I've looked around but can't find anything that has this capability regardless of the desktop being used (KDE, Gnome, etc.). Is there something similar to Korn out there in Synaptic land?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Email checker

Post by phd21 »

Hi "zcmint",

It would help to know more about your system setup like which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

There are numerous email filters and checkers (search for "mail filter", etc...) in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), like spamassasin, procmail, etc... Most email client software (Thunderbird, Evolution, Kmail) also have spam and filter options that learn, or you can specify, to filter your incoming email, or can be supplemented with various spam filters.

I use Linux Mint KDE (17.3 and testing 18) and the extremely robust and capable "Kmail" email client. "Kmail" has the ability to use various spam options, and or filters with actions, so that may be a very good option for you explore.

Also, depending on which email provider you use, like Gmail, there are options with those services as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Another option is to read your mail on your server before accepting it to your computer.

I have been using an older version of Mailwasher running in Crossover for many years. While I do not use the "spam" filter in Mailwasher, the ability to check incoming mail and especially attachments makes this program worthwhile.

Firetrust, the parent company, did have a Linux version but have abandoned development. The version written for Windows works well via Crossover.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
zcmint

Post by zcmint »

phd21 and kyphi,

I appreciate your replies but neither will help. I'm not looking for a spam filter per se as this requires the mail to be downloaded and run through the filter. I also don't want to have to purchase Crossover as I gave up Windows several years ago, one huge reason was because of the initial cost of software and subsequent "upgrades" i.e. Mailwasher. Like I said, I appreciate the suggestions but I guess I'll just wait for someone to update/upgrade the old Korn program or come up with a new one based in either QT or GTK.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

I wrote a program with similar functionality years ago for Windows... I used it personally to delete spam before downloading mail (that was its main function) but found it also helpful when I had to help others who could not download email on dialup connection because they got 1 huge email that their client would get stuck downloading. The program just gets the email headers, you can view them, check any for deletion, set up header-based spam filters...
Since moving to linux I haven't really used this anymore. I use webmail with whitelist to sift through my emails now before downloading. But I could probably port it to linux (or run in wine, I haven't tested that either though). One major drawback though, is it doesn't do SSL or TLS or anything like that. It will do APOP (md5) to login, or failing that it's cleartext. I don't plan to change that--- started looking into it at one point and it seemed too difficult at the time.
It's not really a completed work ... probably a few TODO's in the code. I could put it online somewhere if there's interest in such a project.

I haven't used korn or mailwasher, I'm sure my program is not as refined and probably clunkier. :)
PJO3

Post by PJO3 »

See https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... l-notifier

Search Google for gmail notifier for more.
Be_classy

Post by Be_classy »

awesome thread and link of previous comment is very helpful.
thankyou
mariad_10

Post by mariad_10 »

Helpful indeed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

kyphi wrote: ~ snip
Firetrust, the parent company, did have a Linux version but have abandoned development.
- The version written for Windows works well via Crossover.
another such program is ePrompter
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
arvY99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by arvY99 »

Was looking for something similar under linux, but so far no luck: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=240266
Hope there is a good option somewhere :wink:
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

zcmint wrote:Way back in the day, there was a KDE 3 application called Korn. It was basically the Linux version of a Windows program called "Mailwasher". You could check the headers and body of an email while it was still on the server and delete it (them) before downloading the remaining mail. I've looked around but can't find anything that has this capability regardless of the desktop being used (KDE, Gnome, etc.). Is there something similar to Korn out there in Synaptic land?

I have been looking for mailwasher sort of app for quite a while now for my linux ubuntu 16.04 and iPhone. I am getting tons of spamming emails since the start of 2017. What a spamful year it has been for me. :|
mariad_10

Post by mariad_10 »

I can relate to it, how irritating it is getting your emai filled with spam spam spam.
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

mariad_10 wrote:I can relate to it, how irritating it is getting your emai filled with spam spam spam.

Yes it is very annoying. I have marked many mails as spam, so they directly goes to spam folder. But I have to clear them weekly and that is my friend the real pain. There should be something like Mailwasher for linux and iOS.
mariad_10

Post by mariad_10 »

BeHarley wrote:
mariad_10 wrote:I can relate to it, how irritating it is getting your emai filled with spam spam spam.

Yes it is very annoying. I have marked many mails as spam, so they directly goes to spam folder. But I have to clear them weekly and that is my friend the real pain. There should be something like Mailwasher for linux and iOS.
I think Mailwasher is there for IOS, I am not completely sure about that. And i know how painful it is getting the spam folder clear.
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

mariad_10 wrote:
BeHarley wrote:

I think Mailwasher is there for IOS, I am not completely sure about that. And i know how painful it is getting the spam folder clear.

I am not sure about it. I heard the mailwasher is making an app for iOS and are not done with it. They will roll it out in September. Talked to them on their forum.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”