Should there be a Mint LXDE CE? (Vote closed)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
McLovin

Should there be a Mint LXDE CE? (Vote closed)

Post by McLovin »

Ok, I need to gauge interest in a Mint LXDE CE, to see if it is worth having yet another Mint CE. I think the place for this would be between XFCE, and Fluxbox, as it is much lighter than XFCE, and thus, much better suited to low power machines, or netbooks, but provides a more complete gui than Fluxbox, and it is more user friendly for new comers. So I ask you, the rest of the Mint community, should there be a Mint LXDE CE?

Edit: This vote has been closed, as LinuxMint LXDE:CE is going to be official as of Mint 7. I will be the maintainer of this edition, and will be looking at the community suggestions for ideas of features to add.
Last edited by McLovin on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Should there be a Mint LXDE CE?

Post by rivenought »

I voted in favor of an LXDE version. This would give yet another option for Mint users to possibly find a new favorite, as well as have some LXDE users from other distros come over and give Mint a try. It looks to be a win-win situation all the way around. I look forward to helping with testing.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Please, I need input on this, so give me a vote, and comments on what you think.
Thanx
ArcherSeven
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ArcherSeven »

I'm deeply interested in the LXDE edition and would really like to see it become a reality... I can think of nothing better for my old system, and it would be an overall time saver, especially since everything else I run is mint.
arkanabar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arkanabar »

I say yes. I want the lightest actual desktop possible for 64 bit, for playing World of Warcraft.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

come on, 73 views and only 9 votes? I really need input on this, if you don't think there should be another Linux CE, then vote no, but if I don't get any input, and only this many votes, then there may not be an LXDE:CE. If this happens, then I may work on something on my own, but it will not have the polish and finish that Mint does, and I really would like it to.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

McLovin, I think the reason you are not getting a lot of responses is because many here have not tried LXDE. We attract a lot of people that are new to Linux that have not experienced LXDE. You might try posting a screen shot of this desktop environment and highlight some of it's advantages.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Mint needs a netbook edition, lxde could be a good platform. If you have the passion for this and put in the work, you'll find an audience here within the mint community. Seriously we need a minteee.
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by awong »

I like the idea of lighter than XFCE (which isn't that light on old machines) and full featured!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

+1 for an LXDE version!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Add me to the list of yes votes.
kelean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kelean »

LXDE is a great choice. I find it much easier to work with than xfce or fluxbox. It is also very light.
Plusculus

Post by Plusculus »

Today i tried Igelle with LXDE and it definatly rocks! Fluxbox is nice, but LXDE is as fast as FB and easier to use. Maybe you can configure Mint LXDE CE like in Igelle? Start with development of LXDE Mint CE today, please! :D
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Ok, I have some screenshots for people to look at, on the advice of exploder.
This is the what the menu looks like, with the custom menu entries

This is what the file browser looks like

Firefox

And this is what the desktop looks like with XCompmgr running.

To see a larger picture of any of these pics, just click on them.
rokytnji
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rokytnji »

I run LXDE on one of my Ubuntu boxes.Also run a LXDE Version of Puppy Linux. I am trying to learn how to use it instead of always using Gnome. I would love to try it out in Mint also. Running Mint Fluxbox RC1 at present time. I have room for another Mint install if it becomes available. So yeah, count me in. Happy trails.
Linux user 475019.
jaslar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jaslar »

I'm the lone "no" vote (so far). I don't have anything against the lighter window manager. I just think that a distro can get so watered down with flavors that it loses focus, and so dissolves.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Should there be a Mint LXDE CE? (Vote closed)

Post by Lantesh »

That looks great. Actually it looks very much like Gnome with the Ubuntu menu.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”